I mentioned in a previous post that my Mom got me a NutriBullet mini blender for Christmas. Hence, my nutritional world has changed! Maybe not quite, but it is super handy and powerful. The NutriBullet has a 600 watt engine so it makes quick work of hard veggies like carrots. After I got my NutriBullet I was inspired to create a smoothie recipe series: Drink the Rainbow! No need for Skittles here – just fruit and veggie goodness!
Smoothies like this Green Goodness Smoothie are an excellent way to get more fruits and vegetables in your diet, especially if you are busy and don’t feel you get enough of them (like me). Smoothies are portable and quick, and you are getting all the filling fiber from the fruits and vegetables (unlike juices where the fiber is removed).
I’m kicking off the Drink the Rainbow smoothie series with a green smoothie. There are many versions of green smoothies but I used what I had on hand and made a simple recipe without exotic ingredients (unless you want them), so you can easily find these wherever you are. For an extra nutritional boost, mix in a 1-3 teaspoons spirulina and 1/4 avocado; yum!!
Green Goodness Smoothie
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup cucumber slices (unpeeled)
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh arugula or baby kale
- Squeeze fresh lime juice, to taste
- 2-4 drops liquid Stevia, to taste
- 1/4 cup water (more or less to get the thickness you like)
- Optional: 1-3 teaspoons spirulina powder
- Place all ingredients in a high-power blender or NutriBullet, and blend until pureed and smooth. Enjoy immediately!