Hello fitness friends! It’s December already – Christmas is getting near! The holidays can be an amazing time of sharing fun and food with family and people we love, but these days can also be a time of skipped workouts and over-eating. Holiday over-indulgence can cause not only weight gain but also disrupted sleep patterns, added stress, and feelings of guilt over holiday eating patterns. Don’t let these things get in the way of enjoying your holiday!
If you are determined to breeze through your holiday healthy and stress-free (and even in better shape!), then it’s essential to create a plan for yourself ahead of time. In partnership with Lorna Jane and Fit Approach, here are my top 5 essentials for a fit and healthy holiday season.
1. Add some variety to your diet by trying new foods and recipes: Healthy eating is always easier when you have lots of variety and fun foods to choose from. The Homemade Chai Spice Mix recipe above is from The Move Over Sugar eBook from Lorna Jane and it adds loads of flavor to your cooking and baking without adding sugar. The Move Over Sugar eBook from Lorna Jane is free and it’s loaded with fantastic recipes like the Hot Chocolate Smoothie and Chicken and Vegetable Lasagna. Plus, it has great tips on how to break your sugar habit for good. I made another recipe from the eBook, the Mango Coconut Chia Pudding, which was delicious! Get your copy of the Move Over Sugar eBook and discover some new recipes to try – they are all healthy and delicious! You can also find more healthy recipes over at Move Nourish Believe (Lorna Jane’s healthy living website).
Recipe shared with permission from Lorna Jane
2. Gift Yourself some fun workout clothes: Think of this as a Christmas present to yourself: some nice workout clothes! As women, we like to look nice and working out is no exception. Sometimes buying yourself a little something special for your workouts (like new headphones or a new sports bra) can go a long way in making workouts more enjoyable. And enjoying your workouts is a key ingredient to keeping active all year long! Lorna Jane sent me some new workout clothes that I LOVE!
3. Set goals and challenge yourself: Setting goals is very important when it comes to staying on track during the holidays. Get a nice fitness journal to write down your goals and track your progress. Find some challenges to participate in to stay accountable. I joined 2 fitness challenges on ChallengeLoop for December to keep me moving daily throughout the month of December. Another great challenge to check out is the Muscle Ropes Giant Jump Rope Challenge. It’s tough but worth trying if you want your booty kicked! You can find other challenges to participate in on Diet Bet, KickStarter, EarndIt, and other fitness communities.
4. Stay hydrated! Dehydration can account for many negatives: headaches, constipation, muscle aches, fatigue, and more, so make sure that you drink plenty of water throughout the day. Coffee, tea, and other calorie-free drinks are good, but nothing beats pure water. In fact, some researchers believe that water itself is an essential nutrient. If you get bored with plain water, just jazz up your water with some fruit so you don’t get bored.
5. Don’t forget to take a time out and have some fun! Remember to set aside time to relax and enjoy your time with family and friends over the holiday season. Spend some time each day de-stressing, connecting with others, savoring the season, and indulging in moderation. Time flies fast, so make the most of it and remember to play and enjoy your life.
Want some more tips for living well through the holidays? Join us tonight for a Twitter party to talk about staying fit this season and get a chance to win a $100 Lorna Jane gift card when you RSVP!
Remember to enter to win a $250 Lorna Jane gift card, and get 20% off orders from LornaJane.com with code SHOPLJ
Homemade Chai Spice Mix (reprinted with permission from the Lorna Jane)
Want more fit tips? Check out the other bloggers who have made Holiday Fit Lists!
Dani from Weight Off My Shoulders
Katie from Moms Little Running Buddy
Lindsey from Fit and Awesome
Kalee from Sorey Fitness
GiGi from GiGi Eats Celebrities
Rachel from Running Rachel
Astrid from Better Believe Fit
Presley from Run Pretty
Jill from Fitness Health and Happiness
Anglena from Happy Fit Mama
Katie from Katie Heddleston
Lea from Running With Ollie
Courtney from Journey of a Dreamer
Jennifer from LivWhole
Jennifer from Jennifer Cassetta
Jenny from Metamorfit
Julie from Project Julie
Shannon from Badassfitness