In the mood for healthy cupcakes with fudgy chocolate? These Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes with Fudgy Ganache fit the bill, made with whole grain flour, honey, and topped with a rich, dark chocolate!
Because these are whole grain, these cupcakes are dense, not fluffy like white-flour cupcakes. I want to make some alterations to the recipe for fluffier cupcakes (and still whole grain!), but these little cakes are tasty and a welcome treat for anyone on a special diet!
Gluten-Free Vanilla Cupcakes
Adapted from From Babycakes Vanilla Cupcake recipe by Erin McKenna
- 1-3/4 cups brown rice flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup palm oil shortening, or coconut oil
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 325˚ F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients until blended. In a small bowl, combine the shortening and honey with a hand mixer. Add in the applesauce and vanilla and mix again (it will not be completely mixed at this point, but that is okay).
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well with hand mixer. Add the hot water and mix again until well combined.
- Fill all 12 muffin tins with batter, filling almost completely. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in the muffin pan for a bit, and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Top with 1 Tablespoon ganache. Enjoy!
I was attempting to create a dark chocolate frosting for the vanilla cupcakes, but came up with this by mistake. This recipe is, well, not quite frosting. The only way to describe this super-rich topping is a fudgy ganache. Eventually I will create my own recipe for healthy, natural fluffy frosting. But until then, this recipe will work just fine! Beware, this is very rich: a little goes a long way!
Dark Chocolate Fudgy Ganache
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3-4 Tablespoons palm oil shortening*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- Dash salt
- Using a hand blender, mix the honey, palm shortening, and vanilla until well mixed. Add 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder and blend well, then add the other 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder and the salt and mix again until well blended. Use Fudgy Ganache to top cupcakes or your favorite desserts!