Over the past couple years I have become a morning workout person. Not early morning workouts, mind you, but early enough in the mornings to get fitness taken care of sooner rather than later. I usually end up finding some excuse to not work out later in the day, so mornings work well for me. Yesterday and today I did some home workouts when I first woke up and decided to start the day with a protein shake to change my usual breakfast routine. I decided I needed more protein in my breakfast, and since I can’t eat eggs anymore : ( and I don’t always have lean meat around for breakfast, I needed to use my brown rice protein powder. Research has also shown that people who consume more protein in the mornings eat less throughout the day and have fewer cravings and blood sugar swings. This Mocha Breakfast Shake gets me moving in the morning and helps me reach my daily protein target.
I just got some Sunwarrior Brown Rice Protein Powder (Chocolate flavor) through Open Sky a few days ago and have been using this lately. This is rather pricey (I got mine on sale), but this is very good quality protein powder. The flavor/texture is not too much different from other brown rice protein powders, but it is made from whole grain, organic, non-GMO, sprouted brown rice that has been processed with organic enzymes and contains a complete amino acid profile. It is gluten-free, vegan, hypoallergenic, and has a 98.2% digestion efficiency, making it very easy to digest.
Here is one of my breakfast protein shakes. It has protein, fiber, complex carbohydrates, natural fruit sugars, some healthy fats, and a little a.m. pick-me-up!
- 1/2 cup strong brewed organic coffee, chilled, or 1 teaspoon instant coffee*
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1/2 banana
- 1-2 scoops chocolate protein powder (I used SunWarrior)
- 1 teaspoon ground chia seeds
- 1/2 packet Truvia (optional)
- 1/2-1 cup ice cubes (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a small blender or immersion blender and blend well. If you want more of an icy shake, you can add some ice cubes to make it thicker. Enjoy!
- * If you are a caffeine fiend, use espresso. If you don't want the caffeine, you can use brewed decaf coffee or your favorite flavor Teeccino