Getting bored with your workout routine? Feel like it’s time to shake it up? Here is a fun way to “shuffle” up your workouts for a little bit of variety. While I believe that strategic planning is important for fitness success, I also know that sometimes you just have to throw the book out and have some fun!
I have seen similar ideas where people used a deck of playing cards and designate an exercise for each suit or color, but writing out the exercise on each card made more sense for me. I actually made these cards up for one of my personal training clients, but thought I should make some for myself! I used a business card template in my Word program that worked great on card-stock, but you could also use index cards and write or cut and paste exercises from magazines.
You can fill the cards in with cardio or weight training exercises, sports-specific moves, or a mix of old exercises and brand new ones. Here are some ways you can use home-made workout cards:
- Shuffle cards and pick out 3: perform in the morning, noon, and night
- Fill out cards with yoga moves or stretching exercises for recovery days
- For a quick 10-minute workout: shuffle 10 cards and do each exercise for 1minute
- Do a cardio and strength circuit: shuffle cardio cards and strength cards separately, then alternate strength and cardio cards
- Create separate decks of cards for home-workouts, gym-workouts, outdoor workouts, pool workouts, etc.
The possibilities are limitless with some creativity and your imagination!