Need peanut-free snacks for school? Make some Chocolate SunButter Pretzel Bites with Snyder’s of Hanover – which are now peanut-free!
Back to school is right around the corner! For us the school year starts in over a week, but not to worry: we have all of our school shopping done. We just need to get some more school clothes and we’re set for this school year. The easy part is done!
Now comes the more difficult part: school lunches and snacks. Since my kids have multiple food allergies (including peanut and tree nut allergies), we pack lunches and snacks every. single. day. No hot lunches for the kids unless the school has a special lunch with pizza (the kids get their pizzas made without cheese). With their allergies, it’s easier for us to pack what we know is safe rather than rely on the school kitchen.
Over the years that our kids have been in school, we’ve gotten pretty good at packing lunches and snacks since we had to do that 5 days a week for most of the year (check out my post about healthy school lunches). In fact, starting this past school year, the kids have been in charge of making their lunches and they are pretty good at it!
For this school year coming up in less than 2 weeks, we’ll be adding something new to the kid’s lunch boxes: Snyder’s of Hanover pretzels. My kids love pretzels but for years we haven’t been able to buy the Snyder’s brand for them since they were made in a facility with peanuts. That has now changed!
Snyder’s of Hanover has transitioned their main pretzel bakery in Hanover, Pennsylvania, to a peanut-free production facility to meet the demand for peanut-free school snacks. They made the transition just in time for school! Their nut-based pretzels will be made at a separate facility in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania. Just check the back of the bags to find the new allergy-friendly packages.
In celebration of the upcoming school year, I made these Chocolate SunButter Pretzel Bites with the peanut-free Snyder’s of Hanover Pretzel Snaps. These little treats are perfect for a sweet lunch-box treat or after school snack.
If you’re eating gluten-free, then no worries: Snyder’s of Hanover has a line of gluten-free pretzels! You can easily make this recipe with the gluten-free mini twists, just make you SunButter mixture a bit thicker if needed
Notes on the Snyder’s of Hanover allergen updates:
- There are no tree nuts in the pretzels, although there is sesame
- Some Snyder’s of Hanover products include dairy: Butter Snaps and Seasoned Pieces
- All traditional (unseasoned) Snyder’s of Hanover Pretzels are not made with eggs or dairy; however, the equipment is shared between those items containing dairy and those that are not.
- Snyder’s of Hanover has a strict allergen program, and lines are cleaned after production of any known allergen.
- 6 Tablespoons SunButter (= 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp)
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 72 pieces Snyder's of Hanover Pretzel Snaps
- 1/4 cup allergy-friendly chocolate chips
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- In a small bowl, combine the SunButter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. You may need to adjust the amount of powdered sugar depending on how thick or thin your SunButter is. You want to create a soft and pliable dough.
- Spread about 1/2 teaspoon SunButter mixture onto half the Pretzel Snaps
- Place the other half of the Pretzel Snaps on top of the SunButter to make pretzel sandwiches. Set aside
- In a small bowl or cup, microwave the chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave in 30 second intervals until melted completely. Stir to mix the chocolate and coconut oil. The coconut oil thins the chocolate a bit for easier dipping, but you can skip it if you need to and just use chocolate (it will be thicker)
- Dip one end of each pretzel sandwich into the melted chocolate and set on a parchement or wax paper-lined cookie sheet or cutting board
- Allow chocolate to set up in the fridge for a few minutes
If using just chocolate to dip, you can store these at room temperature. If you added the coconut oil to your chocolate, you may need to store these in the fridge to keep the chocolate from getting soft
Now it’s time to enter the giveaway!
Enter to win a prize pack of Snyder’s Pretzels and a $25 gift card!