Want to make your own protein bars at home? Check out this dairy-free recipe for gluten free Fudgy Chocolate Protein bars
NOTE: Many readers have not had great luck with this recipe, so I am working on re-making it and re-writing it (you can read through the comments to get an idea of how the recipe may turn out). Start with the least amount of liquid and add more only as needed to get the right texture.
If you have food allergies and are watching what you eat, it can be hard to find portable protein sources. Most protein bars have milk or soy in them, which are problematic for me, and many commercial protein bars are full of mystery ingredients that make them little better than a candy bar.
I love Larabars and Kind bars, but I often want more protein and less fat then they provide.
Making your own protein bars allows you to control the ingredients (no mystery there!), the flavors, and the calories. Here is a chocolatey protein bar recipe that is allergy-friendly, gluten free, and also happens to be vegan and mostly raw! This one is low in fat and sugar, and high in fiber and protein, making it perfect. If you like the “100 calorie” snack concept, you can easily make these 100 calories by dividing the recipe into 6 smaller bars.
* One scoop of protein powder is about 3 Tablespoons
Recipe originally adapted from Clean Eating Magazine
- 3/4 to 1 cup chocolate rice protein powder* I used SunWarrior Chocolate Rice Protein Powder
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons gluten-free quick oats
- 3 Tablespoons flax meal
- 1-2 Tablespoons Truvia or Stevia in the Raw to taste
- 10 Tablespoons water or non dairy milk of choice. Start with 5 Tablespoons and add more only if needed
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla
- In a bowl, whisk together the protein powder, cocoa powder, oats, flax meal, and Truvia.
- Mix the water/milk with the vanilla and add to the dry ingredients. Mix well until a dough forms.
- Divide the dough evenly into 6 portions and form into a bar shape. Wrap with plastic wrap, foil, or parchment and store in the fridge. Enjoy!