Love exercising and supporting charitable organizations? Run or walk for a cause and join World Vision for their annual Global 6K for Water on May 6th! You can raise money and support World Vision from wherever you live
Hey friends! Today I’m breaking away from the typical recipe or fitness post and I’m sharing a really cool charity and fundraising opportunity from World Vision.
World Vision is hosting their annual Global 6K for Water on May 6th to raise money and awareness for the global water crises. 6 kilometers (3.7 miles) is the average distance that people in developing countries (mostly women and girls) walk to get clean water for their families. That journey can often be dangerous, and sometimes the water they gather isn’t clean or safe to drink, but it is their only option.
Nearly 1,000 children under the age of 5 die each day from diarrhea caused by poor sanitation, contaminated water, and improper hygiene. World Vision is working to change that:
World Vision works with countries around the world to provide safe and drinkable water to communities in need by drilling new water wells. In 2015, World Vision provided clean water for 2.3 million people. They currently work to provide clean water to one person every 30 seconds, but their goal is to provide clean water to one person every 10 seconds by the year 2020.
If you’ve been a reader for a little while, you know that I’ve partnered with World Vision in the past, helping to raise awareness for their Christmas gift catalog initiative. World Vision is an amazing Christian faith-based organization that works towards improving lives around the world through sponsorships, disaster relief, health care, and more.
If you want to jump on board and help support clean water programs in developing countries, here are some ways to join the Global 6k for water!
- Become a Global 6K for Water host site: you can set up a host site for a 6K in your community! This is a great way for individuals or churches to get to know their communities and raise money for a good cause. You can also find host cities near you to join others in your community. The cities of Seattle, Detroit, and Kansas City will have larger 6K events scheduled
- Start a Global 6K virtual team or run the virtual race on your own wherever you live: if you want to put together a virtual team of friends from all over the country, you can create a virtual team! Or, you can sign up to run or walk this 6K right from your front door.
- Support World Vision’s water programs and donate to the clean water fund
- Sponsor a child through World Vision
- Become a part of Team World Vision and join races and events around the US
Registration for this event includes a water bottle, t-shirt, a race bib with a photo of a child available for sponsorship, and a race medal in the mail when it’s all done! Plus, your registration money is going to support a great cause
Images used with permission from World Vision
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist