These Grilled Chicken Tacos with Cilantro Crema make a quick, healthy, and allergy-friendly weeknight meal if you use leftover grilled chicken! These are gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free, simple, and AMAZING!
It’s time for another recipe, my friends! I’m sharing another healthy main dish recipe (so amazing!), so if you’re missing the desserts don’t worry, I’ll be posing some more of those soon. Spring and Easter are right around the corner and I have some really good ideas, I get hungry just thinking about them 🙂
Right now, it’s Recipe Redux time, and his month’s theme is tacos. Which is totally awesome since who doesn’t love tacos. I for one LOVE tacos. Here’s our recipe challenge:
Taco Tuesday: February 21 is a Tuesday. So show us your healthy, creative take on the taco. (Of course, this recipe can also be posted on February 22).
Recipe Redux recipes get posted on either on the 21st or 22nd of the month, and this month it happened to fall on Tuesday and Wednesday this month. I didn’t post this yesterday due to my schedule, so my #tacotuesday post is actually going up on Wednesday, so it’s now officially a #tacowednesday post!
I whipped these tacos up in very little time yesterday when we were getting ready for our
Crema is a Mexican soured dairy cream (a bit thinner than regular sour cream) that is used in Mexican cooking. Since my kids and I can’t have dairy, I decided to make some of my own “crema” with a kick of cilantro and lime. It tastes amazing on these tacos!! I think I’ll add it to every taco I make at home from now on.
We made these tacos super quick by using leftover grilled chicken from the night before. We cooked up a big batch up chicken breasts on the grill sprinkled with cajun spice, garlic powder, and slathered with some spicy garlic barbecue sauce. The flavors went perfectly with the tacos! We like grilling up big batches of chicken so there’s plenty left over for lunches, salads, and tacos.
You can grill your chicken however you like them best, and you can even use leftover cooked chicken thighs for this recipe. If you are really pinched for time and don’t have leftovers, you can even use rotisserie chicken for these, though there might not be as much flavor in the tacos vs. using grilled chicken.
- 1/4 cup loose cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup light canned coconut milk
- 1/4 medium avocado diced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon egg-free & soy-free mayo we use Hampton Creek Just Mayo
- Dash salt and garlic powder
- 2-3 grilled chicken breasts
- 4-6 gluten-free corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- Your choice of toppings: avocado purple cabbage, tomatoes, etc.
- Prepare the Cilantro Crema: combine all crema ingredients in a small blender and process until smooth. Makes about 1/2 cup sauce
- Prepare the leftover grilled chicken breast by slicing and either warming in the microwave or warming it in a pan. You can always use rotisserie chicken if you don't have leftover grilled chicken on hand. Set aside
- Warm the tortillas: brush a little olive oil on the corn tortillas and heat them up on a skillet or griddle for about 1 minute on each side until they are warm and flexible.
- Top the corn tortillas with sliced grilled chicken, purple cabbage, diced tomatoes, and the Cilantro Crema
- Enjoy immediately while warm!
I used leftover grilled chicken in this recipe! If you grill chicken for dinner, plan on making extra so you can make these tacos the following night. Easy dinner! If you don't have grilled chicken on hand, you can buy some rotisserie chicken for quick tacos
A little behind the scenes for these photos: