This shop & healthy party recipe has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are my own. #JustAddRotel #CollectiveBias
Spring is finally here, and that means more parties and basketball celebrations! If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious appetizer for your next Spring party that doesn’t involve chips or dip, then check out this super easy recipe for Light and Zesty Shrimp Salad. You can serve this awesome salad in shooter glasses or you can step outside the box with this one and serve it on jicama slices or cucumber slices.
This recipe is a fun variation on shrimp ceviche, one of my favorite dishes to order when I’m dining out at Mexican restaurants. I used the Mexican Lime & Cilantro Ro*Tel for this recipe to add some nice spice and an extra flavor punch. This shrimp salad has just a little bit of creaminess, but it’s not swimming in mayo, so it’s lighter than a traditional seafood salad. This turned out healthy and delicious, my kids loved it too! Plus this is allergy-friendly, so it makes the perfect appetizer for guests on a variety of special diets.
If you are looking for shooter glasses to serve this salad in as an appetizer, then check out the craft and candle aisle. For real. I was having a hard time finding glasses that were just the right size, and I found some glass votive candle holders that made perfect shooter glasses for this salad. Very affordable, too, which is nice if you’re serving a lot of people. This recipe makes 16 small appetizer servings (about 1/4 cup each), but if you’re having a big crowd or people want seconds (or thirds!), double the recipe. This is super easy to make and you can make this recipe ahead of time so you have more time to enjoy the party.
Ro*Tel is easy to find at Walmart and it’s affordable so you can buy extra for your other favorite recipes. Bonus: Ro*Tel is offering a buy 3 get 1 free coupon! Download the coupon and save even more on Ro*Tel at Walmart. The RO*TEL coupon deal ends April 6th (while supplies last) so download and use it soon.
Light and Zesty Shrimp Salad
Makes 8 (1/2) cup servings or 16 (1/4) cup appetizer servings
Gluten Free, Grain Free, Low Carb; Free of: dairy, eggs, soy, tree nuts, peanuts
- 12 ounces extra small shrimp (100-150 per pound), cooked, peeled, & rinsed
- 1 10-ounce can Mexican Lime & Cilantro Ro*Tel, drained
- 1 avocado (ripe but firm, not mushy), diced
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 Tablespoons egg & soy-free mayo (or chilled canned coconut milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
- Sliced green onions and thin carrot ribbons to garnish
- Rinse and drain the shrimp and place them in a large bowl
- Add drained Rotel, chopped avocado, and green onion and mix
- Add mayo and stir to mix thoroughly
- Add in the garlic powder and salt and mix again
- Serve immediately or make ahead and chill
- To make make this ahead: make this salad ahead and chill, then add the avocado right before serving so it doesn’t get brown
*Helpful Hint: I used a citrus zester to make carrot ribbons to garnish the salad – it works awesome!