Are you ready for race season yet? I had ran my first race of the year on Saturday. I’m probably behind a lot of you super ambitious types that ran their first race of 2015 on New Years Day. I took some time off to let some tendinitis heal and boy did I feel it! I felt slow and my time wasn’t quite where I wanted it to be, but I showed up and worked, so that’s what matters! I definitely need to do some speed work and sprints this year to get my times down.
I love being able to race and challenge myself: it gives me something to work towards so my training doesn’t get boring and stagnant. I know I’m not the fastest runner or the strongest, but that doesn’t keep me on the couch anymore. It used to really bother me that I wasn’t as good as other people, but this quote really helped me step beyond that fear of failure:
If you’re looking for something to help fuel you up for training sessions or races, and recovery for after your workout and want to keep things al naturale, then this is definitely something to try: the Pre-Workout Energizer and Recovery Accelerator from Vega Sport. Vega sent me a box of each to try out, review, and share. These are both great products that are plant-based, allergy-friendly, and chock full of natural antioxidant compounds for better performance and faster recovery.
The benefits of the Vega Pre-Workout Energizer:
- Natural sugars: (from brown rice syrup and palm sugar) low FODMAP quick digesting carbohydrates*
- Coconut oil: medium chain triglycerides for energy, and anti-inflammatory
- Yerba Mate & green tea: energy from caffeine
- Devil’s claw & rhodiola: adaptogens (protects the body during stress)
- Turmeric & ginger: anti-inflammatory
- Sodium & potassium: electrolytes
*If you are watching your sugar intake, Vega makes a sugar-free pre-workout energizer that I reviewed a while back. I love that they have created a healthy sugar-free version, too, so it will fit into many different diets.
The Pre-Workout Energizer is a good way to get in some natural plant-compounds and antioxidants for optimal performance. It tastes good: not overly sweet tasting and slightly bitter from the plant compounds, but overall it’s a nice addition to pre-workout fueling options! Plus the sugars in it are low FODMAP so they don’t pose a problem for my IBS during workouts.
For post-workout fueling and recovery, here are the main ingredients and benefits of the Vega Sport Recovery Accelerator:
- Pea protein & brown rice protein: vegan protein for amino acids and muscle repair
- Vitamins & minerals: electrolytes, vitamin and mineral replenishment, and recovery
- Maca: natural energy boost
- Glucosamine: joint support
- Devil’s Claw & Astragulus: adaptogens (protects the body during stress)
- Turmeric & cayenne: anti-inflmmatory
- Ginseng: performance enhancement and recovery
- L-Arginine: recovery and performance enhancement
- Natural sugars: (from brown rice) low FODMAP source of carbohydrates
The Vega Sport Recovery Accelerator is smooth and has lots of natural replenishing compounds. Since it has pea protein in it, I couldn’t use too much of it (I don’t tolerate pea protein very well), but this fits a variety of diets and is allergy-friendly if you can have pea protein.
Vega has also released a bunch of training and nutrition resources for running this month! You can choose from training plans, fueling plans, and music playlists for your next race. Their strength and conditioning plans and resources will be launched in June – really looking forward to that too! Here are a few of the resources they have:
Training plans for the 5K, 10K, half-marathon, and full marathon
Meal plans and fueling plans
Running playlists for different types of runs (tempo, hills, long slow, etc.)
Now it’s giveaway time!
I am partnering with Vega to give away a Vega shaker bottle and a tub of Vega Sport Performance Protein (29 oz./23 servings) in your choice of flavor!