Add thickness to your soups with pumpkin puree! This Dairy Free Sausage Pumpkin Soup is a warming and comforting dish for chilly nights, and it’s gluten free and dairy free
I love this soup! Pumpkin is such a versatile fruit (yep – it’s a fruit!): you can use it in more than just pumpkin pie. Pumpkin makes a wonderful soup base because it adds a thick creaminess to soups without fat and very few calories, and it is very allergy friendly.
I love using pumpkin because it is much less acidic than tomatoes, so it is a great soup/sauce option for people who have reflux problems.
Try pairing this nice winter soup with some gluten-free crackers or mix in some wild rice. Of course, this soup is so filling as it is, you don’t really need to add anything to it!
I used homemade venison sausage in this recipe. I mixed ground venison with tons of spices/seasonings for a delicious, all-natural sausage. There is nothing quite like knowing what’s in the food you eat!
Dairy Free Sausage Pumpkin Soup (Gluten Free)
- 12 ounces natural sausage* I used homemade venison sausage
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage ground
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll the sausage into 1" meatballs. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until cooked through.
- While the sausage is cooking, mix the beef stock and pumpkin puree in a medium size saucepan. Add the garlic, onion powder, thyme, sage, and black pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and keep hot while the sausage bakes.
- When the sausage is done cooking, place 5 sausage meatballs in a bowl and cover with 1 cup pumpkin soup. Drop a dollop of coconut cream on top, add a few pumpkin seeds for crunch, and enjoy!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist