This Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Chili is so easy to make: toss together, slow cook for 5-6 hours, and you’re set! Plus, this recipe is tummy friendly with no beans, dairy, or gluten
For some reason I’m not a really big soup or chili person. Ever since I can remember, soups haven’t been on my favorites list. I remember sitting at the table refusing to eat my split pea soup as a kid. I might try that again sometime, but that was one of the foods I really hated when I was growing up!
Sometimes when we eat out I’ll try a new soup occasionally, but I don’t often cook it. When I make soups, I really like them to be thick and robust, like this Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Chili. I remade this one from a recipe in one of my slow cooker cookbooks and we all loved this recipe!
Sadly, I don’t post a lot of savory recipes on The Fit Cookie. I post mostly desserts, but I hope to change that over the next year to include more savory dishes, and more slow cooker recipes. There’s only one other slow cooker recipe on my blog, but since I’ve been trying to use my slow cooker more often hopefully that will change too!
I adapted this recipe from a chicken green chili recipe in my Taste of Home Simple, Easy, Fast Slow Cooker cookbook. I didn’t have a lot of good slow cooker recipes around here so I bought this book earlier this year and there have been some great recipes in there! Some of them I haven’t tried yet since they call for ingredients I really have a hard time subbing out (like condensed cream soups), but there are plenty of others that my family has really enjoyed.
In this recipe, I halved the recipe, changed up the chicken, removed the beans, and used coconut cream instead of sour cream (dairy free!). I used the 505 hatch green chili sauce as well, which has a bit of rice flour in it so it’s not completely grain free if you aren’t eating grains.
For my coconut cream I used Kara Coconut Cream, which was really good in this recipe, but also very rich. If you want this chili to be lighter and lower calorie, just use half of the coconut cream, or just drizzle the coconut cream on top after serving.
Gluten free, paleo; Free of: dairy, eggs, soy, nuts (except coconut), corn, beans
- 2.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium yellow or orange bell pepper chopped
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilis
- 16 ounce jar salsa verde (I used 505 Hatch Green Chili Sauce)
- 6.8 ounce box Kara Coconut Cream (200 ml)
- Garlic powder and Cajun Spice to taste
- Place the chicken breast in the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker
- Chop the onion and bell pepper and place on top of chicken breast in the slow cooker
- Add the canned green chilis and salsa verde
- Cover and slow cook on low for 5-6 hours
- After 5-6 hours, shred the chicken with forks and stir in the coconut cream
- Top each bowl of soup with chopped cilantro
Food allergy mom and healthy living blogger! Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist