Hey friends! The fall season is in full swing and I hope you are enjoying the season so far. Fall is a busy time with school activities and fall holidays, especially Halloween that’s coming up soon! We usually don’t celebrate Halloween a whole lot but I love to create and share allergy-friendly and healthier Halloween treats. Last year I made some cute Chocolate Fruit Bugs, and this year I’m making some Caramel Apple “Donuts”.
Besides pumpkin, one of the most popular fall flavor combinations is caramel and apples. Caramel apples are the perfect way to enjoy the fall apple harvest. But if you have food allergies, getting your caramel apple fix can be tricky. Dairy, soy, and nut allergies in our house make caramel apples rare around here! Of course I had to fix that little problem, so I created my own homemade caramel sauce and variations that work great for recipes like these Caramel Apple “Donuts”.
This recipe was inspired by the fauxnuts recipe shared on Move Nourish Believe a while ago. I put a different spin on mine and used my homemade non-dairy caramel sauce to make these ones nut-free. These would make a perfect fall brunch treat or healthier Halloween school party snack.
Spreading the caramel spread is the tricky part: since the apple is a bit wet the caramel tends to not want to stick to the apple slices, so you can dry the top of the apple slice a bit with a paper towel to help the caramel stick to the apple better. If you want a little spice to your Caramel Apple Donuts, you can try sprinkling a little cinnamon on your apple slices before spreading the caramel, or you can mix a dash of cinnamon into the caramel spread.
You can also adjust the thickness of the caramel spread: if you need a thicker sauce, add a bit more SunButter. If you need a thinner sauce, add a bit more honey. I love to use our solid local honey, but when I mix it with SunButter I have to add some pure maple syrup to get the consistency I like. The maple and honey together creates a great flavored “caramel” spread!
Caramel Apple “Donuts”
Inspired by the Fauxnuts recipe from Move Nourish Believe
Gluten-free, grain-free, vegetarian; Free of: peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, soy, eggs
- 4 tablespoons SunButter
- 6 Tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Granny Smith apples (or your favorite variety of apples)
- Toppings you love! Mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, coconut
- In a small bowl, stir or whip together with a hand mixer the SunButter, honey, and vanilla until creamy and well mixed. Set aside
- With an apple corer, remove the core from 2 unpeeled Granny Smith apples. Slice the apples horizontally in about ¼-inch to 1/2 -inch slices.
- Spread apple slices with caramel sauce and sprinkle with your favorite toppings!
- Eat the caramel apples right away. Caramel sauce can be kept at room temperature for 2-3 days.