Halloween can get downright scary. Not because of tacky costumes or haunted houses, but the sugar, corn syrup, and food allergens can be hair-raising. Halloween can be a sticky situation (pun intended 😉 ) if you are trying to eat healthy and avoid certain foods. If you are looking for healthy Halloween treats than check this out:
Halloween in our house usually doesn’t happen. We have rarely celebrate Halloween, but I still magically end up overindulging in candy (!!!) that sends me into a 3 month sugar-fest…not good.
I am committed to keeping the candy to a minimum this entire holiday season, and I want to create some allergy-friendly candy alternatives for my kids so they can still enjoy some sweet things when everyone else at school is eating peanut-y candy treats.
These cute Chocolate Fruit Bugs are super easy to make and fool-proof! I was going to make these into spiders, but didn’t have enough room for 8 legs, so they are just 6-legged bugs. If you want spiders, you can add another set of legs.
Have fun with these and share your photos on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter! I would love to see what everyone makes for Halloween.
What is your favorite Halloween candy? How do you make your holidays healthier?
- 4-6 100% fruit leather strips
- 10-15 dried apricots
- 1/2 cup allergy-friendly chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Mini chocolate chips for the eyes
- Cut the fruit leather lengthwise into strips and then cut these in half if they are long. These will be the legs
- Arrange 3 fruit strip pieces and overlap the pieces, pressing them together in the middle to smoosh the fruit leather to make them stick together.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate by heating for 30 seconds at a time and stirring after each 30-seconds until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Stir the coconut oil into the chocolate to help thin the chocolate a bit for easier dipping
- Dip apricots in chocolate and place on top of the fruit leather
- Add the mini chocolate chips for the eyes
- Chill in the fridge until set up