These dairy free and gluten free Pumpkin Spice Rice Crispy Treats are a fun fall dessert! They are simple and easy to customize for Halloween treats, too
I’m finally ready for pumpkin season, y’all!
I mentioned in a couple of my last blog posts that I was holding off on pumpkin recipes until it officially turned over into October. Maybe not the best blogger strategy (some bloggers get their pumpkin recipes up while it’s still summer…), but I prefer not to rush through the seasons.
Unless we’re talking about Christmas. I’m always ready for Christmas 😉
One of my favorite marshmallow companies (Smashmallow) makes a pumpkin pie marshmallow, so I decided to make some Pumpkin Spice Rice Crispy Treats with them. They’re so good!! Smashmallow also makes Cinnamon Churro and Mint Chocolate Chip flavors, so yummy!
We made these for a fun fall treat, but if you want to make these for Halloween, you can add some black, red, and orange sprinkles to the top of these, or whatever you like! I love the flavor of chocolate with pumpkin spice, but you can always skip the chocolate on top of these and use just the white chocolate drizzle instead.
Pumpkin Spice Rice Crispy Treats Recipe Notes
The Smashmallow marshmallows are thicker and stickier than regular Jet Puff marshmallows so we used slightly more oil in this recipe. If you can’t find the pumpkin pie Smashmallows, you can use the Jet Puff pumpkin spice marshmallows, but you’ll want to use only 1-1/2 Tablespoons coconut oil or Earth Balance soy free margarine instead of the 2 Tablespoons you’ll use with Smashmallows.
The Smashmallow Pumpkin Pie marshmallows don’t have artificial colors in them like the Jetpuff ones, so the rice crispy treats made with the Smashmallows are are going to be light in color but have a stronger pumpkin spice taste. They are delicious!
I added a little bit of white chocolate drizzle colored orange/yellow to the top of these Pumpkin Spice Rice Crispy Treats, but that is completely optional. Dairy free white chocolate can be hard to find, so you can skip it completely and they will still taste amazing.
You can also melt more chocolate and spread it on top in a thicker layer like I did with one batch (similar to my Scotcharoo Bars). Delicious!
The natural dairy free white chocolate chips are a slight off-white color and not really white, and natural food colors aren’t as bright, so the orange drizzle mostly just looks yellow in the photos 😉
The best way to melt the dairy free white chocolate was to put a heat-proof cup in a bowl filled with very hot water (similar to the double-boiler method). For some reason, I had trouble getting the white chocolate to melt in the microwave, so this method worked great for me.
Pumpkin Spice Rice Crispy Treats
Dairy free, gluten free; Free of: eggs, peanuts, tree nuts (except for coconut)
- 2 Tablespoons non-dairy butter flavored coconut oil OR Earth Balance Soy Free margarine (both work great in this recipe)
- 1 bag (4.5 ounces) Pumpkin Pie Smashmallows*
- 3 cups brown rice crispy cereal
- 3 Tablespoons allergy friendly chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons dairy free white chocolate, optional** (I used Pascha brand or No Whey! brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered natural food color in yellow, optional (I use McCormick natural food color powders)
- Orange sprinkles, optional
- Line an 8×8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt the coconut oil or soy-free margarine. Once it’s melted, stir in the Smashmallows and cook over medium-low heat until the marshmallows are melted and smooth, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Pour the melted marshmallows over the rice crispy cereal in a large bowl and stir until everything is thoroughly coated and combined.
- Using an oiled spatula or oiled hands, press the rice crispy mixture into the prepared pan and set aside to cool.
- For chocolate drizzle: melt 3 Tablespoons allergy friendly chocolate chips in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, OR in a cup placed in very hot water. Drizzle the chocolate all over the rice crispy treats.
- For the white chocolate drizzle: melt the dairy free white chocolate in a cup placed in a small bowl of hot water. If you want a yellow-orange color for fall, add 1/2 teaspoon yellow natural powder food color. Drizzle over the rice crispy treats and add orange sprinkles while the chocolate and white chocolate are still wet.
- Alternatively, you can melt more chocolate to spread on top of the rice crispy treats like I have done in a few of the photos.
- Allow the chocolate on top to set. Cut into 9 or 12 squares and enjoy!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist