Our Instant Pot Green Chili Shredded Chicken is one of the easiest meals you can make! This flavorful shredded chicken is delicious on tacos, burritos, lettuce wraps, taco bowls, and more. Our recipe is also gluten free, paleo, and low carb as well.
If you’re looking for a super quick and easy weeknight dinner or weekend meal prep, this is the right recipe for you! Our Instant Pot Green Chili Shredded Chicken is perfect for adding to soups, tacos, casseroles, and more, so you can make a quick taco dinner or use it to meal prep for the week ahead.
This pressure cooker shredded chicken comes together quickly (about 30-40 minutes) and makes a big batch so you can freeze some for later or create more meals with the leftovers.
Plus the hatch green chili in this recipe is so delicious! The seasoning we used has the perfect blend of green chilis, garlic, and onion for a well-balanced flavor that tastes great in all kinds of foods.
Our Instant Pot green chili chicken is:
- Dairy free
- Gluten free (when using the Riega brand)
- Soy free
- Peanut free
- Tree nut free
- Low carb & keto
How to make easy pressure cooker green chili shredded chicken
This green chili chicken recipe is super easy to make, is very hands-off, and only has a few steps.
Here are the steps to make this recipe, the full recipe card is at the end of the blog post:
- Place 1 cup chicken broth in the bottom of your Instant Pot (or other pressure cooker).
- Place half the chicken thighs in the pot, sprinkle with half the Riega hatch green chili seasoning packet.
- Place the rest of the chicken in the pot on top of the other chicken and sprinkle with the rest of the seasoning packet (save the 2nd packet for after cooking).
- Cook on high pressure for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow natural pressure release for 15 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Shred the chicken, then taste test and add 1/2 or 1 full packet of the 2nd packet of seasoning if you want more flavor (we added 1/2 packet after cooking).
- Use this green chili shredded chicken for tacos, burritos, taco bowls, tortilla soup, lettuce wraps, and more!
We used the Reiga hatch green chili seasoning packets for our chicken and it turned out so good! For 3-4 pounds of chicken thighs, we ended up using 1-1/2 packets rather than 2 full packets, so if you end up using 2 pounds of chicken, 1 packet would probably work great.
The Riega hatch chili seasoning has a great taste in this recipe and also works great in other recipes. We added it to hamburgers one time and they tasted awesome!
Will this shredded chicken recipe work with other seasonings?
Yes! you can use other seasonings in this recipe, just make sure it’s one that doesn’t have a ton of salt or it would be easy to get too much salt in this recipe (that’s one of the reasons we recommend using unsalted or low sodium chicken broth).
Make sure to check the ingredients on any seasoning packets if you have food allergies and taste test the shredded chicken to adjust the amount of seasoning you may need to add at the end.
Can I make this recipe with chicken breast instead of thigh meat?
We like to use boneless and skinless chicken thigh meat for our Instant Pot shredded chicken because we think it is more moist and flavorful that chicken breast.
But if you want to use chicken breast in this recipe to have a leaner protein with less fat, this recipe will work with chicken breast as well!
EASY Instant Pot Shredded Green Chili Chicken
- 1 cup unsalted chicken broth (use unsalted broth because the seasoning has plenty of salt!)
- 3-4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 packets Riega Hatch Chili seasoning (we used 1 ½ packets)
- Your favorite taco ingredients (fresh tomatoes, avocado, pickled red onions, etc.)
- Place 1 cup chicken broth in the pot of your pressure cooker.
- Place half the chicken thighs in the pot in a single layer, then sprinkle with half the seasoning packet.
- Place the rest of the chicken on top of the other chicken and sprinkle the rest of the seasoning packet over the chicken (save the 2nd seasoning packet for adding after cooking).
- Cook on high pressure for 10-12 minutes.
- Use natural pressure release for 15 minutes after cooking, then use quick release for the remaining pressure.
- Shred the chicken, then taste test to see if you'd like additional seasoning. Add either 1/2 or the entire 2nd packet of seasoning if you want more flavor (we added just 1/2 the 2nd packet to keep this from being too salty).
- Use this hatch green chili shredded chicken for tacos, burritos, lettuce wraps, taco bowls, and more!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist