Looking for a healthy and easy weeknight dinner or weekend meal prep recipe? Make this delicious Sheet Pan Barbecue Chicken with Potatoes and Asparagus for a complete meal ready in under 40 minutes
So a couple weeks ago, I put out a poll on social media asking what kind of recipes my readers wanted to see this month. Surprisingly, it ended up that most people wanted to see healthy savory dishes! So I decided to add some more savory recipes this month, including my healthy breakfast sausage, and this Sheet Pan Barbecue Chicken with Potatoes and Asparagus.
This is my first sheet pan recipe post on The Fit Cookie, I’m a little behind on the sheet pan dinner trend. But to be honest, I’m always behind on trends of every kind… I don’t jump on new things right away unless I think they are beneficial and not just a passing fad. And I have to say, I think sheet pan dinners are pretty awesome!
I love the idea of sheet pan dinners (or even breakfast or lunch) since you can cook up a whole meal in one pan with little or no babysitting. That’s my kind of meal! I love simple and easy recipes personally. I’ve often called myself a lazy cook, but I think it has more to do with time efficiency and making the most of the time I have 😉
For this recipe, I made up my own barbecue seasoning blend that has no sugar in it. Most barbecue spice blend recipes have brown sugar in them, but I decided to skip that in this recipe. If you like having a bit of sweet in your barbecue spice, you can mix in a bit of coconut sugar if you like. It has that brown sugar taste, but it’s minimally processed!
Sheet Pan Barbecue Chicken with Potatoes and Asparagus
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed (about 6 chicken thighs)
- 1-1/2 pounds baby potatoes (yellow or red)
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
For the potatoes and asparagus:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, spray or brush the bottom of a sheet pan with olive oil and set aside.
- Wash the potatoes and cut into halves (for smaller baby potatoes), or quarters (for larger baby potatoes). Put in a large bowl.
- Wash the asparagus and trim the fibrous ends, then cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces and add to the bowl with the potatoes.
- Add the olive oil, pressed or minced garlic cloves, salt, and pepper to the potatoes and asparagus, and mix together until thoroughly coated. Set aside.
- Mix together the ingredients for the smokey barbecue spice blend, and sprinkle generously over each side of the trimmed chicken thighs.
- Set the chicken evenly onto the prepared sheet pan, not on top of the potatoes and asparagus, but moving aside the potatoes to set the chicken directly on the sheet pan. We’ve found that if you put the chicken on top of the potatoes, the potatoes underneath won’t cook well and will still be hard.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes. Brush a little olive oil on top of the chicken, then turn on your broiler to high, adjust the oven rack to 4-5 inches away from the broiler, and broil the chicken for 3-4 minutes, keeping an eye on the chicken to make sure it doesn’t over-brown or burn.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist