This Gluten Free Overnight Mocha Oats recipe combines creamy chocolate and coffee, and it only takes minutes to make. It tastes like a healthy dessert for breakfast (plus it’s dairy free too, and vegan depending on your protein powder)! This recipe was originally featured as a guest post on Old House New Home
I have a REALLY important question for you…
Are you a morning person?
I am… every day of the week, but Mondays
It’s that first sound that hurts.. the one that breaks you from your sweet slumber and not only reminds you that you have to get up… but also, you have another 4 days of this before your next sleep in. Ergh…
Once I am up, it is all good. My mornings are generally pretty relaxed… partly because I am an organizational freak and mostly because I don’t have kids that I need to get ready
Overnight breakfasts are the bomb… they mean relaxed mornings, longer sleep in… and even an extra coffee some mornings! Especially important on Mondays
These oats came from a mesh of my everyday oat recipe and the Sunday night thought of Monday looming just over the horizon.
A morning coffee was just not going to cut it and I needed caffeine … lots of it. They are super quick, just 5 minutes the night before and you are done! They are creamy, sweet and it is like having a (healthy) dessert for breakfast. Want one way to brighten your day? Add chocolate… and guilt free chocolate is even better!
If you don’t like coffee, you can leave it out and add a little extra mix or water instead. You don’t HAVE to wait overnight to eat these, you could eat them straight away but waiting a few hours will allow them to thicken up.
Gluten Free Mocha Overnight Oats (Dairy Free)
- ⅓ cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1 heaped tablespoon of non-dairy chocolate protein powder
- ⅓ cup warm coffee
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk your favorite kind
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large tablespoon dairy-free yogurt
- Stevia to taste
- In a small bowl, add the oats and protein powder and stir to mix.
- Add all of the other ingredients and mix well. Cover and then place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, taste oats and add Stevia if desired. Sweetness will depend on your protein powder.
- I serve mine topped with yogurt, cacao nibs, coconut and fruit.
Kirsten Burrows is the former co-owner and photographer behind the recipe website Treat Yourself Sweeter. She lives in Melbourne, Australia, and works as a school teacher.