In the middle of cold and flu season, we all need a little help when it comes to finding natural remedies for a sore throat. When I get a sore throat, I usually drink a hot cup of water with honey and lemon juice (love this!), so I was intrigued when I found a recipe for a traditional Chinese remedy (Pomelo Honey Tea) on the ShowShanti blog.
I love pomelo, and this seemed like a good recipe to try for cold season. I made the original recipe, but I didn’t like the amount of solids in the mix and it was a little bit bitter from the pomelo peel; it reminded me a bit of orange marmalade. I still liked the idea, so I decided to create my own version of the Pomelo Honey Tea, and here it is!
This recipe yields a beautiful ruby-red concentrate that is delicious mixed in cold or hot water for a refreshing and throat-soothing citrus drink. Most all of the citrus fruits I used in this recipe were pink or red fleshed. You can use just about any citrus fruits you like in this drink mix, just be sure to use a mix of sweet and tart citrus fruits so the concentrate isn’t too tart or too sweet.
It is best to juice the citrus by hand. If you send pomelo or grapefruit through the juicer, you will get bitter juice from the fruit’s membrane.
- 3 medium moro blood oranges, juiced (1/2 cup juice = 150 mL) *
- 1 red grapefruit juiced (1 cup juice = 225 mL)
- 1 pink pomelo juiced (1 cup juice = 225 mL)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice the citrus fruits by hand and place in a small pot with the salt (you should have about 2-1/2 cups citrus juices to work with). Bring the juices to a boil over medium heat until it boils.
- Cook the juice over low heat at a low boil or simmer until reduced and thickened, about 30 minutes. You will have about 1-1/2 cups juice.
- Allow the juices to cool. While the juice is still warm (but not hot), stir in the raw honey and lime juice. Cool completely and store in a glass jar in the fridge.
- To make the drink/tea, mix 3 Tablespoons concentrate with 8 ounces hot or cold water. If you want some citrus-ade, use cold water and mix in a little bit more lemon or lime juice. Enjoy!