If you want an easy cookie that allergy-friendly, check out this recipe! These Gluten Free Slice-and-Bake Sugar Cookies are simple and delicious
These tasty cookies are an adaptation of a cookie recipe from the Deliciously Organic blog. The original cookie recipe was grain-free, but not everyone in my family can have grain-free flours, so I decided to make these with brown rice flour. You could also try these with other gluten-free flours, such as amaranth and sorghum.
The texture of these cookies are a cross between shortbread and roll-out sugar cookies. These are whole-grain and allergy friendly, plus they are cane sugar free and not too sweet. These cookies are a versatile base for virtually anything you can think of. Be creative! Here are a few ideas for this recipe:
- Mix goodies (like mini chocolate chips) into the dough
- Roll the dough log in chopped nuts before chilling
- Chill and roll out onto a lightly floured surface and cut out shapes
- Dip or drizzle cookies with chocolate
- Make sandwich cookies filled with raspberry jam, chocolate, caramel,…
- Add different flavor extracts to the dough, such as orange, raspberry, or almond.
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 Tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon gelatin*
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup thick raw honey
- In the bowl of a food processor, add brown rice flour, coconut flour, salt, and gelatin. Pulse a few times until combined.
- Add in the solid coconut oil, and pulse until well combined with the flour and it is course. Add the honey and vanilla and process until the flour is moist and a dough forms.
- Press dough into a ball then shape into a log about 1-2 inches around and 5-6 inches long. Wrap in waxed paper and chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the dough from the fridge and slice into discs between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake or 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges. Enjoy!
* The gelatin acts as a binder in this recipe