Celebrate fall with some pumpkin cupcakes! These Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Pumpkin Buttercream Frosting are gluten free, dairy free, vegan, and nut free. They are an easy and allergy friendly way to add pumpkin spice to your dessert menu
Hey friends, I’m excited to share a new recipe with you today! A group of blogging ladies and I are teaming up each month to share monthly themed recipes. This is our first collaborative post and we’re sharing fall-themed cupcakes today, and I decided to try my hand at dairy free and gluten free pumpkin cupcakes.
I created some gluten-free and vegan Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Pumpkin Buttercream, and 5 other ladies created some amazing treats, too.
Since I always need some new recipe inspiration, joining this team of blogging ladies has been fun! I had been looking for a blogging tribe for a little while, and they welcomed me into their group to support each other, help each other grow, and team up on recipes. Can’t wait to share more recipes with you in the coming months!
I used 2 different kinds of muffin papers with these: regular ones and some parchment paper cups. I love the parchment ones best since they come off the cupcakes so easily, plus you can fill them a bit more.
This recipe is also a small batch: it doesn’t make a full 12 cupcakes. When I develop my recipes they are usually in small batches (to make sure I don’t waste a ton of ingredients if my first attempts are a flop!), so this one didn’t end up being a full dozen but it turned out great!
If you want to have more cupcakes, you can double this recipe, just try not to fill them more than 2/3 to 3/4 full otherwise they will overflow the sides. These pumpkin cupcakes don’t peak and get tall like regular ones with eggs, so they can overflow the sides if the muffin cups are filled too full.
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes (Gluten-Free and Vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with 9 muffin papers (the parchment cups work great!)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking Stevia, egg replacer, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together the rice milk, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir or whisk well to combine
- Fill each lined muffin cup 2/3 full (there should be about 9 of them)
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting with Pumpkin Buttercream (recipe below)
Pumpkin Buttercream Frosting
The Pumpkin Buttercream frosting is just pumpkin flavored, not pumpkin spice flavored. If you want pumpkin spice flavored frosting, you can add a bit of pumpkin pie spice to your frosting a little at a time (to taste). The frosting will be darker than the photos shown if you add spice to it.
Either way you decide to make this pumpkin frosting, it tastes great on these pumpkin cupcakes!
Pumpkin Buttercream Frosting
- Beat together the pumpkin puree and the palm oil shortening until well blended and creamy
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time to the pumpkin blend and beat with a hand mixer after each addition until well blended
- Beat in the vanilla and salt
- Use to frost the cupcakes after they have completely cooled
Cupcake recipes, clockwise from top left:
- Vanilla Almond Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting (Rosemary – An Italian in My Kitchen)
- Cranberry Orange Cupcakes with White Chocolate Buttercream (Melissa – My Wife Can Cook)
- Apple Spice Cupcakes (Arlene – Flour on My Face)
- Spicy Chai Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting (Gloria – Homemade and Yummy)
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Pumpkin Frosting (Sarah – The Fit Cookie)
- Pumpkin Spiced Apple Cupcakes with Caramel (Veena – Veena Azmanov)
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist