This Fresh Mexican Chicken Soup is so delicious, fresh, and easy to make for weeknight dinners! This soup is also paleo and healthy!
Yesterday evening, my husband, my kids and I went over to a friend’s house and shared dinner with them over great (hilarious!) conversation. This recipe is an interpretation of the soup my friend served. It is simple, healthy, allergy-friendly, and adaptable to any palate!
I tend to stress out too much when we have people over for meals because I want to cook a perfect meal. I love the idea of sharing good food without stuffiness or over-preparation. This takes the stress out of entertaining so I can actually enjoy my company! We had the soup with homemade tortilla chips, salsa, and pico de gallo purchased from a favorite Mexican restaurant. How easy (and delicious) is that!
You can top this soup with just about anything fresh and healthy; get creative! My husband put some shredded habanero cheddar cheese on top of his.
- 2 large chicken breasts diced (or 3-4 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 whole avocado chopped
- 1/2 large onion or green onions, chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro rinsed and chopped
- Optional toppings: tortilla chips, poblano peppers tortilla chips, poblano peppers, rice
- In a large soup pot, cook raw chicken over medium heat with the oil, garlic, cumin, and chipotle powder until chicken is cooked through. If you want this recipe to be super-quick, use cooked leftover chicken, turkey, or rotisserie chicken that is shredded or diced.
- Once the chicken has been cooked, add the chicken stock to the pot and bring to a boil.
- While the chicken stock is heating up, cut up the avocado, onion, tomatoes, and cilantro and set aside.
- When the chicken and stock is cooked through, ladle into a bowl and top with tomatoes, onions, avocado, and cilantro. Enjoy!