This Fresh Mexican Chicken Soup is so delicious, fresh, and easy to make for weeknight dinners! This soup is also paleo and healthy!
Yesterday evening, my husband, my kids and I went over to a friend’s house and shared dinner with them over great (hilarious!) conversation. This recipe is an interpretation of the soup my friend served. It is simple, healthy, allergy-friendly, and adaptable to any palate!
I tend to stress out too much when we have people over for meals because I want to cook a perfect meal. I love the idea of sharing good food without stuffiness or over-preparation. This takes the stress out of entertaining so I can actually enjoy my company! We had the soup with homemade tortilla chips, salsa, and pico de gallo purchased from a favorite Mexican restaurant. How easy (and delicious) is that!
You can top this soup with just about anything fresh and healthy; get creative! My husband put some shredded habanero cheddar cheese on top of his.
Fresh Mexican Chicken Soup (Paleo)
- 2 large chicken breasts diced (or 3-4 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 whole avocado chopped
- 1/2 large onion or green onions, chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro rinsed and chopped
- Optional toppings: tortilla chips, poblano peppers tortilla chips, poblano peppers, rice
- In a large soup pot, cook raw chicken over medium heat with the oil, garlic, cumin, and chipotle powder until chicken is cooked through. If you want this recipe to be super-quick, use cooked leftover chicken, turkey, or rotisserie chicken that is shredded or diced.
- Once the chicken has been cooked, add the chicken stock to the pot and bring to a boil.
- While the chicken stock is heating up, cut up the avocado, onion, tomatoes, and cilantro and set aside.
- When the chicken and stock is cooked through, ladle into a bowl and top with tomatoes, onions, avocado, and cilantro. Enjoy!
Food allergy mom and healthy living blogger! Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist