Make some allergy friendly Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes with Fudgy Ganache for your next birthday party, they’re dairy free and egg free too!
In the mood for healthy cupcakes with fudgy chocolate? These Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes with Fudgy Ganache fit the bill, made with whole grain flour, honey, and topped with a rich, dark chocolate!
Because these are whole grain, these cupcakes are dense, not fluffy like white-flour cupcakes. I want to make some alterations to the recipe for fluffier cupcakes (and still whole grain!), but these little cakes are tasty and a welcome treat for anyone on a special diet!
I was attempting to create a dark chocolate frosting for the vanilla cupcakes, but came up with this by mistake. This recipe is, well, not quite frosting.
The only way to describe this super-rich topping is a fudgy ganache. Eventually I will create my own recipe for healthy, natural fluffy frosting. But until then, this recipe will work just fine! Beware, this is very rich: a little goes a long way!
Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes with Fudgy Ganache
- Preheat oven to 325˚ F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients until blended. In a small bowl, combine the shortening and honey with a hand mixer. Add in the applesauce and vanilla and mix again (it will not be completely mixed at this point, but that is okay).
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well with hand mixer. Add the hot water and mix again until well combined.
- Fill all 12 muffin tins with batter, filling almost completely. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in the muffin pan for a bit, and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Top with 1 Tablespoon ganache. Enjoy!
- Using a hand blender, mix the honey, palm shortening, and vanilla until well mixed. Add 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder and blend well, then add the other 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder and the salt and mix again until well blended. Use Fudgy Ganache to top cupcakes or your favorite desserts!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist