The weather here has been pretty snowy lately, with lots of cold wind and slick roads. Despite the cold weather, I am always up for trying new frozen treat recipes at my house. Here is a lightened-up (and allergy friendly) version of a classic frozen treat. I love the SO Delicious Coconut Mini Fudge Bars, but they are a bit expensive. Making your own allergy-friendly frozen treats is economical, plus you can make them healthier by using your favorite milk and sweetener (like date sugar or honey).

I used coconut milk from the carton, but if you want a creamier texture, you can use canned coconut milk. Try using other flavors in the fudge bars, such as mint or almond extract.

Dark Chocolate Fudgesicles

Free of: Dairy, soy, eggs

1 cup milk of choice
1 packet unflavored gelatin*
1 Tablespoon Truvia or Stevia
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 ounces dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Place the milk in a small saucepan and whisk in the gelatin, Truvia, and cocoa powder.  Whisk thoroughly until everything is dissolved in the milk. Heat until the mixture comes to a simmer.
  2. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate and the vanilla extract.
  3. Portion the mixture evenly among 1/4 cup (2 ounce) molds (it will fill 5-6) and place in the freezer. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight. Enjoy!

* If you are vegan, you can try using agar agar here instead, although I cannot guarantee how the recipe would turn out

Recipe adapted from Fudgy Pops recipe from Health.com

11 Responses to Dark Chocolate Fudgesicles

1. Vashti says:

Mine are in the freezer now! Kids are excited! I used 1 tbs Great Lakes gelatin, 2 tbs coconut sugar and Enjoy Life chocolate chips. Thanks for the recipe!

2. Angie Jones says:

What form of stevia did you use? Liquid or powder or packet? They are all different strengths… and could I sub with honey or agave? If so, how much? Thank you!

• thefitcookie27 says:

Hi Angie! I used the Truvia or Stevia powder in this recipe since it will be dissolved with the gelatin, but you can use liquid Stevia if you like. I would add a few drops at first and taste-test to adjust to your liking. You could definitely use honey or agave in this recipe, just start with 1-2 Tablespoons and taste-test to see what you like. It shouldn’t change the texture at all using honey or agave instead, but I haven’t made this with honey or agave so I can’t say for sure. Let me know how they turn out!

• Angie Jones says:

Ok, so I must not have a taste for too dark a chocolate, because even with two tablespoons of honey, I still added two packets of stevia and a tablespoon of maple syrup! I know that sounds awful, but that being said, the texture and taste of these pops is quite good! Very much a “pudding pop” consistency!

• thefitcookie27 says:

I am glad to hear these turned out for you! If you want more of a milk-chocolate flavor, you could always reduce the cocoa powder a little bit as well. Thank you for sharing how it turned out! :)

3. Beth says:

How are these dairy free if they require milk????

• Sarah Jane says:

Hi Beth! In the recipe it calls for “milk of choice”, meaning you can use any milk you choose, such as coconut, almond, hemp, oat, or rice milk. Also, in the post, I said that I used coconut milk from the carton in this particular recipe.

4. Kerri Kenny says:

These look great! You’ve now made me want to buy Popsicle holders just to make this recipe! Can’t wait to try.