If you have had crazy cold weather this winter then the coming of warmer weather is more than welcome. Warmer weather is also the start of the Spring allergy season, and with all those fun outdoor activities coming up, it’s important to feel your best this year so you can keep moving towards your goals.
I have battled seasonal allergies for years now and each year it gets a bit more interesting. For years I had allergies but didn’t even know it, until I got some allergy testing done and realized that I was allergic to all kinds of grasses and trees.
My family loves getting outside, so managing my allergies and feeling good is a big deal for me. I run, bike, garden, and hike outdoors, and my kids play at the park and are in soccer now, so being outside is an integral part of our lives. Plus all that fresh air and sunshine is great for you!
Here are some things I have found that help me feel better during allergy season:
- Invest in some allergy HEPA filters. We have a couple of these in our house, and our goal is to have a room-sized unit in each bedroom. It’s a good idea to put a filter in the places you spend the most time, which is usually your bedroom since you spend quite a bit of time sleeping there. You could even get small units to take with you to your office.
- Get plenty of rest. Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep at night, even setting aside time to go to bed earlier if necessary. And take a nap during the day if you can squeeze in the time for it. I’ve benefited from nixing caffeine well before bedtime so I can sleep well!
- Hydrate! Staying well hydrated makes my nose and mouth feel less irritated. If I’m drinking lots of water and also exercising and sweating a lot, I make sure I get electrolytes, too, especially when it gets warmer outside.
- Listen to your body when it comes to exercise. If you are feeling symptoms from your allergies, it’s okay to take it easy with your exercise. Do some gentler exercise for those days when you are having a hard time getting yourself together, and save the super intense workouts for the days when you have had plenty of rest and hydration.
And I have a big announcement: I hinted at some new things in one of my last blog posts, so here it is: I will be working with Flonase® as an Ambassador for several months! I started using Flonase® a couple months ago, and have experienced relief from my allergies. Here are some benefits of Flonase®:
- Works at the source (aka, your nose)
- Provides 24-hour relief of itchy & watery eyes, nasal congestion, runny nose, itchy nose, and sneezing
- Full prescription strength now over-the-counter
- Read and follow package directions for best results!
Through this partnership with Flonase®, I will be posting some great allergy and healthy living tips over the next few months, so stay tuned for more!
Disclaimer: This blog post is informational and is not meant to replace medical advice. Always talk to your doctor about allergy concerns