Craving some brownies but don’t want to wait so long to bake them? Make these gluten free and vegan Chocolate Chip Brookies (brownie cookies) for a quick chocolate treat that’s easy to make
You know that feeling when you’re experimenting with recipes in the kitchen but you don’t really know what you’re doing? A little apprehensive about using up your good ingredients, but still needing something allergy-friendly and sweet. That’s me all the time, well most times I bake.
I break all the rules of baking and experimenting with recipes, like you’re not supposed to change more than one thing at a time in a recipe. Yeah, I’ve broken that rule so many times it pretty much doesn’t exist in my house.
Fortunately for me (and my family’s tastebuds), many of my experiments actually turn out pretty well, like these Chocolate Chip Brookies (brownie cookies). I knew I wanted to make something other than brownies with this mix, but I also knew I was going to be really cranky if I messed up that beautiful box of allergy-friendly brownie mix. I rolled the dice and came up with these!
You can press the top of the cookie dough ball in sugar before baking if you like
Making brownie cookies (aka brookies) instead of brownies out of this brownie mix makes it a bit easier to control my portions so I’m not inhaling the entire pan of brownies, cuz you know that happens.
Since the brownie mix already has flax seed meal in it and some thickening starches, I didn’t need to worry about replacing the egg here. This mix binds well without egg replacer, so you won’t need to worry about that when making these cookies.
NOW Foods gave me the brownie mix and coconut oil used in this recipe
And I had to add some extra chocolate with some chocolate chips, of course! I was really excited about the NOW Foods line of gourmet oils (Ellyndale Naturals) that includes the butter flavored coconut oil so I added it into these cookies to make them buttery and it was awesome. And it’s dairy free and vegan, so it’s allergy-friendly. It adds a nice flavor to baked goods and sauteed foods. I made some pancakes with it, too, and they turned out great.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Brookies (Vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry brownie mix and the cinnamon and stir in the chocolate chips. Set aside
- In a small bowl, melt the coconut oil and whisk in the coconut milk
- Stir the oil mixture into the brownie mix and stir to combine thoroughly. The brownie mix should form a thick dough that you should be able to roll with your hands. If it seems dry, add 2 Tablespoons coconut milk at a time until it is moist enough to roll but not too moist.
- Roll cookie dough into 1-inch balls. You can press the top of the ball into turbinado sugar or you can skip this step if you want less sugar
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 10 minutes before removing from the pan so they can set up a bit
- After 10 minutes move to a cooling rack
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist