The other day I found an amazing looking recipe for Texas Sheet Cake that I quickly pinned and was seriously contemplating making, but decided against it for the time being. As much as I LOVE chocolate, I realize that I need to try more non-chocolate dessert gems, like caramel.
Caramel…yummy… just the name “caramel” sounds smooth and sweet. Caramel seems to make everything taste better…well, unless of course it gives you a massive stomach ache for a couple days, then not so much. My kids and I have dairy allergies and intolerances, so traditional caramel is off of our “must have” list, unless I whip up some of my own.
This Banana Sheet Cake is excellent (it’s actually a half sheet cake), but it is the perfect vehicle for showcasing a nice Caramel Sauce. This Carmel Sauce is not only allergy-friendly, but it is super easy to make, is paleo, and can easily be made vegan. Whip up some of your own and add it to this cake or on top of your favorite ice cream. I have even used a similar version in homemade caramel corn!
- 1-1/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas pureed (@ 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons ground chia or flax seed
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice
- Easy "Caramel" Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons SunButter or other nut/seed butter
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon coconut milk canned
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a 9x9 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- In another medium bowl, mash the bananas until pureed. Whisk in the honey, oil, water, ground chia or flax seed, vanilla, and vinegar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. Move to a wire rack and let cool completely before cutting.
- For the "caramel" sauce: Place the SunButter and honey in a small microwaveable bowl. Heat for about 20 seconds until warmed through and easy to mix. Mix the honey and SunButter until smooth. Stir in the coconut milk and the vanilla. Serve on top of the Banana Sheet Cake and anything else you like! Makes 1/3 cup "caramel" sauce.