In need of a little motivation for your fitness or your business? Here are some great tips and bits of wisdom to inspire you from Todd Durkin’s keynote speech at Blogfest!
Hey friends, I got back from Blogfest and IDEA World last week and we had a great time! I posted a bit about Blogfest earlier this week, and today I wanted to share some great bits of wisdom to inspire you from Todd Durkin’s keynote speech at Blogfest.
Even though I’ve said in the past that motivation can be overrated (it’s the habits and hard work that really get things done when motivation wanes), there is a place for motivation in your life. It helps to lift you up and although we shouldn’t completely reply on motivation to get us through challenges, it’s nice to have sometimes!
Todd’s keynote with at Blogfest was fantastic, as usual! Every workshop or class I have done of Todd’s, I leave feeling like I can conquer the world. He’s such a great example for fitness leaders and influencers.
I took some notes during Todd’s keynote and I couldn’t wait to share them with you! Here are some of Todd’s bits of wisdom on leadership, fitness, and business:
- Develop “contagiasm”= contagious enthusiasm. New word created by Todd!
- Energy and persistence can conquer all things!
- Smile while you write, it will show through your writing
- Get your mind (i.e. mindset) right before writing and creating content
- Email newsletters can be mini blog posts to bring value to readers
- Creating an impactful business will take RISK and WORK
- People will love how you make them feel through your writing and videos
- Commit to a morning routine, and set aside time for quiet and journaling before your day begins
- Consistently produce great content filled with wisdom
- Life isn’t a marathon, it’s a series of sprints and recoveries. The harder the sprint, the longer the recovery. Every time you work really hard for something, make sure you take some time off afterward for rest
- Seek to be significant in people’s lives. That is, work to bring value to people and help them feel good
- Pay attention to Dave Ramsey’s stages of life: 20’s = learning, 30’s = editing, 40’s = mastering, 50’s = harvesting, 60’s = guiding. You can’t skip steps or stages of life, and that’s okay
- World class personal care is mandatory for success. Take care of yourself!
- Take time to unplug and have quiet time each day
- Ask yourself “How can I give more value to people?”
- Do more of what makes your soul sing!
- Spend time with people who lift you up
- Write and speak with emotion to connect with people
- “We are living in a world drowning in content, but starving for wisdom” – John Maxwell. Bring value to people!
- Passionate businesses make the biggest impact and are the most successful
- Ask yourself: “How am I growing and innovating?” Grow or die!
- Take time for family: create magical moments with people you love.
- DREAM BIG
- Believe in your dream
- The bigger your dream, the more important your team. Surround yourself with a support system
- Face your fears
- “Explore. Dream. Discover” – Mark Twain. Take time to explore.
- GIVE! It fills you up
This was one of the quotes that Todd shared by John Maxwell, which is becoming one of my favorite quotes too! It keeps reminding me that I need to bring VALUE to those I’m serving. Quality over quantity, baby!
Todd gave everyone at Blogfest a copy of his new book! It is a collection of some of his motivating blog posts and emails that he edited and curated to create a book filled with inspiring words of the week with action items and steps after each word. Pretty awesome! We’re loving it so far.
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist