Looking for a fun new breakfast recipe that’s easy to make? Make up a Gluten Free Breakfast Parfait! This post was originally featured as my guest post over at Monday Lunch Trio
1. Drink some water as soon as you wake
Fill your body with fresh water as soon as you wake up. Dehydration can lead to fatigue, so staying hydrated goes a long way to keeping you energized during the day. Adding lemon is also encouraged!
2. Get plenty of protein and fiber at breakfast
A doughnut and coffee just won’t cut it! Your biggest meals should be breakfast and lunch to fuel your busy days, and getting plenty of protein and fiber at these meals will ensure that your blood sugar will remain steady until your next meal. Steady blood sugar = better energy for the day!
3. If you drink coffee, enjoy it with food
Caffeine on an empty stomach hits your system much faster, but it will also leave your system faster resulting in a crash later on. Slow down the absorption of the caffeine by drinking it with your breakfast and your caffeine high/low won’t be as extreme.
4. Look at some light
Looking at a computer screen at night can disrupt your sleep, but doing the same thing in the morning can actually help you wake up. Whether it’s opening a window, checking some email, or turning all the lights on, getting plenty of light as soon as you wake will tell your brain it’s time to move!
5. Move your body
This Gluten Free Breakfast Parfait is a fun, quick, and healthy day-starter, depending on the ingredients you choose. Plain Greek yogurt is a perfect choice since it is higher in protein and has no added sugars. If you feel that it needs a bit of sweetness, mix in a few drops of vanilla crème Stevia, one of my favorite things to keep in my kitchen!
The best choice for this recipe is Greek yogurt since it has plenty of protein, but if you are like me and can’t have dairy, try using coconut milk Greek yogurt and stir in some of your favorite protein powder. For the granola, try to find one that is high in fiber and isn’t loaded with too much fat and sugar. Or you can make your own granola!
- 1-1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup gluten-free granola
- 2 containers (6 oz each) plain coconut Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- Vanilla Crème Stevia drops optional
- For each parfait: place ¼ cup blueberries on the bottom of a glass.
- Layer 1/3 of the yogurt cup next, then 1 Tablespoon granola and 1 teaspoon, then more yogurt, blueberries, etc. Repeat layers until all the ingredients are used.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate for later!