It’s Recipe ReDux time again! This month’s theme is Grab a Book and Cook to celebrate 42 months of Recipe ReDux:
Cardamom Molasses Cookies
Gluten Free, Vegan, Whole Grain; Free of: dairy, eggs, soy, nuts
- 1 cup whole grain sorghum flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom (+ more if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup palm shortening
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 3 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered baking Stevia
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 3 Tablespoons unrefined cane sugar or Turbinado sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a metal baking sheet with parchment paper or prepare a baking stone. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (the flour, flaxseed, baking soda, spices, and salt).
- In a smaller bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the palm shortening and molasses together until blended. Add the flaxseed meal, sugar, Stevia, and water and beat again until creamy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend well. The dough will look a bit crulby but should stick together when rolled. If it seems a bit too dry, add water 1 teaspoon at a time until the dough sticks together well but is not wet. The dough should be like playdough.
- Take a scant Tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball. Press the top of the cookie dough ball into some granulated sugar and flatten slightly on the baking sheet, sugar side up.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes. If you want a softer and chewier cookie, then bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest on the cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- If you want to keep your cookies soft, store them with a piece of gluten-free bread or another piece of moist baked goods (like muffins). This will keep your cookies from turning crisp.
- If you want to get really crispy cookies, leave them on the cooling rack for several hours before storing in a container.