Got a chocolate cupcake craving? Make these gluten free Chocolate Cupcakes with SunButter Frosting for an allergy friendly treat!
This past weekend I was busy in a 3-full day personal training workshop and I missed my usual weekend baking ritual. So, I made up for it by whipping up some chocolate cupcakes for some Monday night dessert instead. They hit the spot!
I love the combination of nut-butter and chocolate, so I added some SunButter to the butter-cream frosting for a fun twist. You could add a swipe of raspberry jam to the cupcake, too, if you want a SunButter-Jelly Cupcake.
Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes (Vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with muffin papers.
- Whisk together the flour, coconut sugar, Truvia, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and baking powder until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, milk, flaxmeal, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Using a hand blender, blend the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until blended. Portion the batter into muffin tins (they will be about 2/3 full).
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center is no longer wet (they may still be crumbs on it).
- Cool on wire rack completely before frosting. Enjoy!
Vegan SunButter Buttercream Frosting
- Place the coconut oil in a small bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat the coconut oil until creamy. Add in the palm shortening and SunButter and cream together.
- Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt and cream again.
- The coconut oil in this frosting may be warm from mixing, so you can chill this frosting for a bit to thicken it up.
- * You can use any granulated sugar/sweetener that you like here, such as coconut sugar, raw cane sugar, or Truvia
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist