Bake these Chocolate No Chill Vegan Sugar Cookies for your next Christmas party: they are easy to make, dairy free, and delicious!
Hey friends, I hope your December is going great! It’s hard to believe that Christmas is next week, then the New Year will be here before you know it. Time gets away from me sometimes stopping to look at the calendar is a good reminder to slow down and enjoy my days a bit more 🙂
One of the things I haven’t been doing as much but really enjoy is baking. I cut back on my baking so we weren’t eating cookies every day, but I miss the creative part of baking: making something delicious that people enjoy!My weekday cooking has been a bit bland lately and I need to get creative with my dinners, too.
In the spirit of baking (especially with Christmas coming soon!), I’m sharing another cookie recipe! My No-Chill Vegan Sugar Cookies were a big hit, so I decided to make some more of those, only a chocolate version. These ones are a little bit softer inside than the vanilla ones, and they taste a bit like Oreo cookies.
These aren’t gluten-free, both recipes contain wheat since I was making them for my daughter’s class. I have been working on a similar gluten-free recipe and I can’t seem to get the cookies to spread using whole-grain flour, but I’ll keep trying!
These Chocolate No-Chill Vegan Sugar Cookies are almost foolproof if you use palm oil shortening. Don’t let the palm oil concern you, it is a natural fat similar to coconut oil and makes a better substitute for shortening in baking (it makes great pie crust too).
Unrefined palm oil is usually red, but I use the solid refined palm oil in baking so there is no odd flavor and it doesn’t color your cookies.
The texture and qualities of palm oil are different from coconut oil, so it works better in some recipes than coconut oil. It is a saturated fat like coconut oil is, so make sure you use it in moderation.
When you are looking for a palm oil for baking, make sure that it is from a sustainable source. The palm oil shortening I use is made by Spectrum (a division of Hain Celestial), and it’s non-hydrogentated (a biggie!) and certified by the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO).
Chocolate No Chill Vegan Sugar Cookies
- ¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup solid palm oil I use Spectrum brand
- ½ cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons rice milk
- 2 Tablespoons sugar for rolling, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- In another medium sized bowl, cream together the palm oil and sugar using a hand mixer, then add in the vanilla and rice milk and cream together until creamy and a little fluffy
- Add the flour mixture to the palm oil mixture and blend together using a hand mixer until a thick dough forms. The dough should be thick and not too sticky
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and roll the cookie dough balls in more sugar if you like
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet at least 1-inch apart and slightly flatten the cookie balls
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes in the preheated oven: 12 minutes for chewy cookies and a little more for crispy cookies. When they begin to turn slightly golden brown on the edges they will be crispy
- Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Leave these on a wire rack for a couple of hours before storing if you want them crispier
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist
2 thoughts on “Chocolate No Chill Vegan Sugar Cookies”
I have a bone to pick with you! As you are the one who opened the Pandora’s BOX in my life and now I cannot get enough of HEALTHY SUGAR COOKIES – LMFAO!!!
But I actually… LOVE YOU FOR THIS, so thank you for your genius!
Aw, thanks Gigi! <3 You just reminded me to do a few new variations of those sugar cookies, too!