Enjoy your weekend breakfast or brunch with these scrumptious glazed Gluten Free Lemon Muffins: vegan, soy-free, allergy-friendly, and delicious!
Hey friends, it’s Recipe Redux time! It’s the perfect time of month to catch up on a variety of recipe interpretations centered around a monthly theme. There are so many different food stories and backgrounds out there, it’s pretty amazing! The December theme for Recipe ReDux is a little cooking game:
December 2015: Grab a Book & Cook
We’re repeating last December’s theme due to popular demand: It’s the end of the year and we’re taking a moment to reflect – The Recipe ReDux has been around for 54 months! To celebrate, we’re playing a little party game this month: Grab your nearest cookbook and ReDux the recipe on page 54 or 154. We can’t wait to see the books you’re cooking from these days.
For this fun recipe game, I picked the recipe on page 54 of From Grandma’s Kitchen cookbook from Gooseberry Patch. I knew I wanted to bake something sweet, and I had several cookbooks to choose from but I found a recipe for Lemon Bread that sounded like fun to re-create.
For last year’s similar recipe challenge, I made a recipe from another Gooseberry Patch cookbook (they are awesome!), so check out what I made last year!
I completely revamped this recipe from the original: I made these into muffins rather than bread, changed the glaze a bit, replaced shortening with olive oil, then made these gluten, dairy, and egg-free. Lots of changes made, but these still turned out delicious!
Originally I was going to make mini lemon bread loaves and bake them in the slow cooker (it works!), but decided to make muffins instead. The slow cooker baking worked quite well, but I decided to re-work the recipe a bit and make muffins instead so they were quicker to make.
Muffins are more portable and portion controlled, too, so they are nice to take to school for a lunchtime treat or a snack with tea.
These Gluten-Free Lemon Muffins are a bit indulgent since they have cane sugar in them and powdered sugar in the glaze. But, I did reduce the amount of sugar from the original recipe overall so that is a bonus!
The muffins without the glaze aren’t overly sweet, so if you want to cut more sugar from the muffins, you can skip the glaze on top or replace the powdered sugar with powdered Swerve. I’m going to try that powdered Swerve next time or a mix of both to reduce the sugar.
Gluten Free Lemon Muffins (Vegan)
Gluten free, vegan, whole grain; Free of: dairy, eggs, soy, tree nuts, peanuts, coconut
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 7 Tablespoons powdered sugar (= 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with muffin papers (I used a stoneware muffin pan)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ground flax seed, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice milk, sugar, and olive oil
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well
- Scoop the batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan. Each muffin cup will be filled a bit over 3/4 full
- Bake for 25-28 minutes until the tops of the muffins have firmed up and spring back a bit when pressed lightly
- While the muffins are baking, prepare the glaze: in a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and powdered sugar until smooth. Set aside
- Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Allow the muffins to cool for an additional 10-15 minutes before removing the muffin papers
- Drizzle muffins with a bit of lemon glaze and serve
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist