This Easy Shrimp Ceviche captures the fresh flavors of Mexico in a quick, easy, and healthy salad that is delicious! This ceviche is also naturally paleo and nut-free
Happy Monday! It’s Recipe Redux time again (both yesterday and today), plus it’s my kid’s first day of school. It’s busy with blog stuff but slow here since the kids are gone. Crazy! The Recipe Redux theme for August is vacation-inspired recipes:
Recipe Redux August 2016: A Vacation-Inspired Recipe
Start unpacking your favorite vacation memories. Think about a trip you took state-side or internationally and create a healthy recipe from an unforgettable meal you enjoyed. Or, create a recipe from a native ingredient you saw or tasted on your travels.
Last year we went to Mexico and I had one of my favorite Mexican dishes there: ceviche.
Ceviche is one of my favorite dishes when I go to Mexican restaurants! It’s light and typically allergy-friendly, naturally gluten and grain-free. I’ve had several different kinds of ceviche, some of them have cooked shrimp and a lime sauce, and some of them have the raw fish and celery. I’m not a celery fan so I definitely skipped that in my recipe, but if you like celery feel free to add it in there!
Since I’m a newbie at making ceviche, I decided to make it with non-traditionally with cooked shrimp instead of raw white fish. One of these days I’ll experiment with using raw fish “cooked” with lime juice, but I’m always a little skeptical about how fresh the fish is around here unless it’s just caught in a river or lake. If I’m not sure it’s fresh, I’d rather be safe than sorry!
This shrimp ceviche (aka ceviche de camaron) is also not as saucy as some of the others I have had, but I like it less saucy! If you’re serving with tortilla chips or crackers, you can add some salsa to make it saucier for dipping.
Check out our other salad recipes:
- Classic Dairy Free Greek Salad
- Warm Garlic Herb Red Potato Salad
- Smoked Salmon Salad
- Thai Cucumber Chicken Salad
- Light and Zesty Shrimp Salad
- Paleo Basil Cashew Chicken Salad
- Strawberry Breakfast Salad
- Quick and Easy Avocado Chicken Salad
- Fresh Cilantro Lime Quinoa Salad
Easy Shrimp Ceviche
- 12 ounces small shrimp cooked and deveined (if frozen, thaw and rinse)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped cucumber
- 1-1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1-2 green onions sliced
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Tajin seasoning
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 avocados chopped or sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, cucumber, and tomato, green onions, and lime zest. Stir to combine
- In a small cup or bowl, stir together the lime juice, Tajin, olive oil, and garlic powder
- Add lime juice mixture to shrimp mixture and stir to combine, add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve ceviche topped with sliced avocado, or you can serve the avocado chopped and mixed into the salad if you’re serving this ceviche immediately
- This salad will keep well in the fridge for 1 or 2 days if the avocado isn’t mixed into the salad
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist