Last week I spent some time in Boulder and Aurora, Colorado, at the FitSocial Conference fitness bloggers conference. Here are some highlights on the food and a recipe created by Chef Paolo Neville! I did take all of the photos with my iPhone, so they are rather small unfortunately.
A quick plug for my FitSocial product sponsors:
We had lunch at the Whole Foods Market in Boulder a couple different times. This place is amazing…and very, very busy!
I think they need to build another 1 or 2 Whole Foods Stores in Boulder! It is a very popular lunch spot.
Thursday night some of us went to eat at Shine. The restaurant features a completely gluten-free menu along with diary-free and vegan options.
Shine features local and organic foods, and many are fermented and cultured so it makes your belly happy, too (if you don’t have yeast allergies).
Friday Morning coffee at Flatiron Coffee. They make almond milk lattes!!
I tried a Chia Pod from Whole Foods (Vanilla Bean flavor). It’s a dairy free and gluten free chia pudding made with coconut milk – yummy!
Saturday night we had dinner on the roof of the Anschutz Health and Wellness Center, catered by Bistro Elaia and Chef Paolo Neville.
On Sunday, we got to watch Chef Paolo demonstrate healthy food prep. He made a wonderful Asian Styled Quinoa Salad (I’m sharing his recipe!). I couldn’t eat it because of the soybeans in it, but it looked and smelled amazing.
Here’s Chef Paolo’s recipe for the Asian Style Quinoa Salad, Enjoy!
- 2 cups quinoa uncooked
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 head broccoli finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped/finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1½ cups edemame soy beans replace with beans for soy-free
- 1-2 Tablespoons lite gluten free soy sauce replace with coconut aminos for soy free
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar or lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons green onion chopped
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- Pinch of red pepper flakes to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 avocado chopped (garnish)
- Cover uncooked quinoa with cold water and soak for 1 hour
- Drain quinoa and rinse thoroughly
- Place quinoa and 2 ½ cups cold water in a small pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and turn down heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes
- Fluff cooked quinoa with a fork and spread out on a baking sheet to cool
- Grate the carrots and finely chop the broccoli and place in a large bowl. Chop the cabbage, bell peppers, cucumber, and cilantro
- Prepare the dressing: whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl
- Combine the cooled quinoa, beans, and dressing in the large bowl with the vegetables and mix well
- Garnish with avocado and serve immediately or store in your fridge for later
Nutrients: 286 calories 6 g fat 258 mg sodium 49 g carbs 11 g fiber 7 g sugars 12 g protein