Bake a delicious cake without turning on your oven! This little gluten free Chocolate Chip Mug Cake is perfect for one (or two if you want to share!). This mug cake is not only gluten free, it’s also dairy free, vegan, and nut free
Old HVAC systems can lead to some pretty awesome little desserts!
You’re probably wondering what the heck I’m talking about, so let me explain: our central air system is almost 40 years old, and isn’t great at keeping our house cool when it gets hot. We’ve had some of those sweltering days when I just can’t bring myself to turn on the oven, so I improvised and made a little mug cake instead 😉
Sometimes hot weather helps us get creative with recipes, like grilling pizza instead of baking it, or using the burner on the grill to make our favorite salmon dish. Whatever it takes to stay cool!
This chocolate chip mug cake has been on my to-bake list for quite a while, and July is the perfect time to bake this little treat. Cuz summer is too short to be spending too much time sweating over your oven!
My daughter’s birthday was earlier this week, so I made her a pineapple upside down cake and a couple experimental batches of chocolate cupcakes. Our house turned into an oven, and I had to tell my daughter I couldn’t make the lasagna she wanted unless I could figure out how to grill it outside.
We’ll save the lasagna for another less hot day of the year, and my cake baking will have to take a back seat for a while. But in the meantime, try this chocolate chip mug cake! It’s filling for one person, or a nice light helping for two people, if you are willing to share 😉
Vegan Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
Gluten free, vegan, nut free; Free of: soy, eggs, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts
- 1/4 cup extra fine sorghum flour
- 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar (can replace this with baking Stevia for sugar free)
- 2 teaspoons ground golden flaxseed (aka flaxseed meal) (This is the binder, don’t skip this!)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk of choice (rice, coconut, almond, etc.)
- 1 Tablespoon light tasting olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons allergy friendly chocolate chips
- In a medium sized mug (about 10-12 ounces), stir together the flour, sugar, flaxseed meal, baking powder, and salt.
- Add to the flour mixture the non-dairy milk, oil, vanilla, and chocolate chips and stir until well blended. Make sure to scrape the bottom corners of the mug to make sure all the flour is mixed.
- Microwave for 1 minute on normal power.
- Cool for about 5 minutes before eating (it’s very hot).
- Top with frosting, glaze, chocolate syrup, or enjoy plain!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist