Make some allergy friendly dark chocolate bars at home easily! You can even make these sugar free and add your own mix-ins, like crisp rice or dried cherries
Homemade dark chocolate bars? Yes please!
I love chocolate, but don’t always love the extra ingredients in them that I can’t have (dairy and soy) or all of the sugar in them. Allergy-friendly and healthy sugar-free chocolate bars can be a bit pricey, so I decided to make my own chocolate.
So, I thought it was time to try the recipe for Hot Chocolate Bars off of the blog Chocolate Covered Katie. I had the recipe on my Pinterest board for a while, but finally decided now was the time to make them.
I didn’t have liquid Stevia, so I used powdered Truvia instead. I experimented a little bit and added some of my favorite mix-ins, like almonds and crisp rice. Yummy!
Honey Chocolate bars
Plain sugar free chocolate bars
Note: The oil used in this recipe MUST be an oil or fat that is solid at room temperature, such as coconut oil, palm oil, or cocoa butter. This will not work if you sub out coconut oil for a liquid oil (like canola, olive, etc.).
Honey Chocolate Bar with Almonds
Sugar free chocolate bars with crisp rice
Guilt Free Dark Chocolate Bars (Dairy Free)
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 Tablespoons honey agave, or powdered Truvia
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or other flavors/oils
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- In a small bowl, microwave the coconut oil and honey or powdered Truvia until melted, about 40 seconds. If you use agave or liquid Stevia, you can probably add them after the coconut oil is melted.
- Stir in the vanilla extract
- Stir in the cocoa powder and stir well.
- Add mix-ins, such as chopped almonds or crisp rice and stir well.
- Spread the chocolate onto wax paper-lined sheet or into candy molds and put in the fridge or freezer until hard. This is best kept chilled to keep it firm. Enjoy!
Food allergy mom and healthy living blogger! Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist