These delicious gluten free Honey Almond Thumbprint Cookies are perfect for a healthier dessert, and they are great with afternoon tea or giving to friends
Sometimes things just don’t work out quite like you had planned or hoped. Over the last week or two I have had many failed recipe attempts. I try to make allergy-friendly recipes healthier, and I make regular recipes allergy-friendly. Unfortunately, a lot of my recipe conversions just don’t make the cut on the first attempt – or the third!
Other times, things do work out exactly (or pretty close!) to what you had planned, like these cookies. Unlike some of the other things I made the past two weeks, this recipe actually turned out very well! For me, cooking is like anything in life: you win some, you lose some! But either way, you have to keep trying.
Adapted from Almond and Honey-Butter Cookies from Eating Well Magazine
- 1/2 cup whole almonds toasted
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons ground chia seed mixed with 3 Tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup honey I used raw, unfiltered
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons honey raw unfiltered
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Process whole almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Transfer to bowl and add flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Combine ground chia seed with water in a small bowl or glass measuring cup. Mix well and let sit until a thick gel forms.
- Using an electric hand mixer, add honey, oil, and vanilla to the chia/water gel and mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Roll Tablespoons of dough into 1-inch balls and place on prepared baking sheets. Press the tip of your finger into the center of each cookie to make an indentation. Bake the cookies until set and slightly golden on the bottom, 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine 2 Tablespoons honey and 1 Tablespoon almond butter and mix well. Fill each cookie with about 1/4 teaspoon honey-almond butter. Enjoy!