If you’ve got food allergies, you might be missing great flatbread. Make some delicious Gluten Free Flatbread at home – it’s soft and flexible!
Flatbread is a staple in nearly every culture around the world, they are just called by different names. Tortilla, lavash, lefse, pita, naan, chapati, injera,.. the names and ingredients are varied but the basic idea remains the same.
I have tried many times to come up with a soft, flexible, yeast-free, allergy-friendly flatbread but couldn’t quite hit upon the right recipe, until today! I needed something good to go with our tacos, and store-bought corn tortillas wouldn’t cut it. Most gluten-free flatbread I find at our stores either have other ingredients I can’t have or they taste like cardboard.
This flatbread is soft, flexible, whole grain, and very simple to make. They are also ultra versatile: you can use them for soft tacos, sandwiches, pizza crusts, and anything else you can think of. Add in your own seasonings to customize the flavors and make it your own! I have even thrown in a Paleo version, too!
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup flaxseed meal or ground chia seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Stevia in the Raw
- 1/2-3/4 cup cup water
- Whisk together brown rice flour, flaxseed meal, salt, baking powder, and Stevia until blended. Add 1/2 cup water to the flour mixture and mix. If needed, add the other 1/4 cup water as needed to ensure the dough is not too dry. If your dough seems too wet, you can also add more flour to make a thick, elastic dough.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat and lightly spray with oil. Divide the dough into 4 to 6 portions (depending on how large you want them). Lightly flour or oil your hands and flatten each dough portion into discs about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cook the flatbread on the skillet or griddle until barely golden on each side, around 3-5 minutes per side. If you want the flatbread soft and pliable (for soft tacos), do not over-cook or brown them.
- Top the flatbread however you like; enjoy!