This Easy Italian Artichoke Chicken recipe is great for weeknight dinners! It’s low carb, paleo, and dairy free, so it fits many diets
Need an easy, one-dish meal chock full of Italian flavor, lean protein, and seasonal spring vegetables? Put down the microwave dinners and give this recipe a try.
If you are really pressed for time, you can easily put this together in advance, keep it in the fridge, and pop it in the oven when you get home from work (you may have to add a few minutes cooking time). This dish not only works well with chicken, but it is also delicious prepared with fish. Enjoy!
Italian Artichoke Chicken with Asparagus (Paleo)
- 1 pound asparagus
- 2 to 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 14 ounces marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 leek, white and light green part only sliced
- 3 pieces center-cut bacon or pancetta or prosciutto, uncooked & chopped
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- Oregano thyme, basil, salt & pepper, garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a 9 x 13 inch baking dish by spraying oil on the bottom and sides.
- Wash 1 bunch of asparagus and trim the bottom 1/4 - 1/3 of the stalks to remove the woody parts. Arrange in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Take the chicken breasts and cut the breasts in half horizontally to make the chicken breasts smaller and to help them cook evenly (you can skip this if the chicken breasts are already small and evenly sized). Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Arrange over the asparagus in the dish.
- Place the chopped artichokes and sliced leeks over the chicken. Sprinkle with chopped bacon or prosciutto.
- Pour about 1/4 cup chicken stock into the bottom of the pan to add moisture while cooking. Sprinkle the entire dish generously with oregano, thyme, basil, and garlic powder.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for @ 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the foil and bake 5 more minutes to crisp the bacon and brown the leeks a bit. Alternatively, you can place the dish in the broiler for 3-5 minutes to brown the top of the dish. Enjoy!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist
20 thoughts on “Italian Artichoke Chicken with Asparagus (Paleo)”
We make this often. Healthy and delicious. Easy to make
Thank you Mike!
So nice! I love your recipe so much! It really looks yummy!
Looked so gorgeous and delicious!
Looking deliciously healthy!
Made this last night and everyone loves it :). Excellent recipe! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Angela, glad you loved it!
Great! I want to try this recipe in fish version. I can’t wait to taste!
Thanks Alaine! Let me know how how this goes with fish 🙂
I changed this just a bit for my taste buds. I used a bit of white wine, fresh garlic, and lemon juice. Our family has very few food allergies and I don’t mind cooking with wine. We add produce depending on what’s seasonal and who’s eating but our favorite is artichokes and asparagus! Love your recipes!
Kimberley & the Dietz Family
Thanks Kimberley! Those sound like great additions to the recipe, I love it!
This was really good! Even my husband liked it and said it could be moved into the dinner rotation 🙂 Thanks for the great recipe!
I am glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thanks Tiffany 🙂
I made this tonight! I’m going to try a bite once it cools down. It’s my dinner for the week! It looks and smells fantastic!
Great! Let me know how you like it 🙂
I love one dish wonders…definitely a great quick meal to make mid-week! Hope you’re having a fab weekend 🙂
I love 1-dish meals, too! I need to post more of them : )
Lovely. That looks delicious 🙂