If you’re craving a chocolate cake that’s a bit lower in sugar and has delectable coffee flavors, then make this Gluten Free Mocha Chocolate Cake (it’s vegan too!)
This allergy-friendly cake is made without refined ingredients and is a rich indulgence that kills chocolate cravings. While this is an allergy-friendly food, it is not a calorie friendly one.
If you want to make a lighter version of this cake, use less oil, and less sugar (replacing with more Truvia). Make a 1/2 batch, (1 9-inch layer), and use a thin layer of frosting (if any). This cake definitely qualified as my weekend baking indulgence (more on that later).
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee regular or decaf
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup light tasting olive oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Truvia
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or other granulated sweetener
- 3 cups brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal or ground chia seed
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2, 9-inch cake pans (or 3, 8-inch cake pans) by spraying the sides with oil and placing a parchment circle in the bottom of each pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the coffee, cocoa powder, hot water, applesauce, oil, vanilla, sugar, and the Truvia. Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, flaxseed meal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum. Mix well.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour batter into the prepared cake pans and bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 15 minutes. Remove from the cake pans and let cool completely before frosting.
- Frost with Mocha Buttercream Frosting (below) or Fudgy Ganache. Enjoy!
Vegan, gluten-free; Free of: dairy, eggs, yeast, soy, corn, white sugar
- 1/2 cup raw sugar or raw date or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup Truvia
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1-2 teaspoons instant coffee granules to taste
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup palm shortening*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Make your powdered sugar: in a blender or magic bullet, place the raw sugar, Truvia, arrowroot starch, instant coffee, and cocoa powder, and pulse until a fine powder forms. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the palm shortening or coconut oil until creamy. Add in the the powdered sugar and beat until incorporated. Add vanilla, and beat again until creamy. Use to frost a cake. Store in the fridge.
* You can replace some of the palm oil with SunButter or other nut/seed butter for a "Peanut Butter" flavor frosting.