Adapted from one of our favorite holiday family recipes, Mom’s Raisin Griddle Cookies are sooo good! They’re gluten free and dairy free
A couple days ago I was perusing a food blog and came across their post for Welsh Cakes. I quickly realized that these were very similar to my Mom’s raisin griddle cookies that she used to make for my sisters and I around the holidays. The recipe we followed, which we called Raisin Griddle Cookies, was handed down from my grandma.
Seeing those delicious looking cakes inspired me to find my Mom’s recipe and make it allergy-friendly. And since my Mom has been trying to stay away from gluten and dairy lately, I will be sure to make some of these for her this year!
These cookies are firm on the outside (courtesy of the griddle), soft on the inside, and not too sweet. Just don’t eat them all in one day – these actually taste better the next day!
I didn’t have enough raisins so I used dried bing cherries for the rest. Many of them were just too big and I just pulled them out when I cut into the dough!
Mom’s Raisin Griddle Cookies
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, Stevia, ground chia seed, baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in the coconut oil until course crumbs form. Stir in the raisins.
- Add milk to the dry ingredients and stir together until moistened and dough holds together. You can add 1-2 Tablespoons more milk if dough seems too dry.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 inch round cookie or biscuit cutter.
- Heat a griddle until a few drops of water dropped onto the surface dance on it – do not over heat. Oil griddle lightly and place cookies on it. Cook until the bottom side browns, then turn over and brown the other side. The dough in this recipe can be frozen before baking if needed. Enjoy!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist