This Chicken Asparagus Roulade is a beautiful (and healthy!) dish that doesn’t take a ton of time to make.This recipe is fun to experiment with! If you don’t like asparagus, other stuffing ideas include spinach, bacon, goat cheese, olive tapenade, prosciutto, pesto, or any other fillings you can think of!
Chicken Asparagus Roulade
- 1-2 large chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 bunch (@ 1 lb. fresh asparagus, ends trimmed)
- 4 pieces thin sliced ham
- Salt and pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Spray a 9”x13” baking pan.
- Trim asparagus ends and clean thoroughly. Cut asparagus in half. Cut ham into strips about 2” wide.
- Trim chicken breast of any fat. Cut chicken into strips about 2 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. You can pound the chicken breasts thin if you like. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and lay a piece of ham on the chicken and place 6-8 pieces on top of the ham. Roll up the chicken, ham, and asparagus and secure with a toothpick. Place in the dish seam side down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Top with Creamy Pumpkin Tomato Sauce and enjoy!
I like to add pumpkin puree to my tomato sauce to help reduce the acid in the sauce, which is great if you have acid reflux problems and can’t tolerate very much tomato sauce (the coconut milk helps cut the acid, too). Feel free to be creative with the herbs and spices in this sauce!
creamy tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning (or 1 teaspoon each basil, thyme, and oregano)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or fresh garlic minced
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Serve over the chicken roulade.