Fall means pumpkin spice! Make this easy Crustless Pumpkin Pie recipe for fall desserts or Thanksgiving! It’s gluten free, vegan, and healthier
UPDATE: Hey friends! I have made this recipe every Thanksgiving for the past several years (probably 4 years) and I think this was one of the first recipes that I posted. I adapted it from a recipe from Gluten-Free and More magazine.
Over the years, I have made a few variations depending on our diet/food allergies at the time (things change!), so I am updating the recipe to the latest and best recipe so far – the recipe I made just yesterday.
The updated recipe is simpler with fewer ingredients, and is now vegan and lower-FODMAP (without the honey), so it fits more diets!
I also lost this recipe for a while since some of my recipe plugins crashed when I merged blogs and lots of recipes were swapped and deleted. So I finally got this one back up recently, AND I finally got some better photos for your viewing pleasure since I got a better camera 🙂 They aren’t perfect, but such an improvement over my old ones!
Enjoy the recipe!
This recipe is quick and easy because there is no need to make a crust: the pie makes its own crust! So if you happen to have a difficult time getting your pie crust to turn out right (especially an allergy-friendly one), this recipe is worth trying.
I made this last year for Christmas and decided it was good enough to make again, only this time I made some healthier changes: I used whole-grain flour, and maple syrup instead of sugar.
- 1 can 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 3/4 rice milk or coconut milk
- 3/4 pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons light tasting olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2-1 teaspoon liquid Stevia depending on how sweet you want your pie (I used NOW Foods Better Stevia in English Toffee)
- 3/4 cup whole superfine sorghum flour or brown rice flour
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed or chia seed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 450° F. Spray a pie pan with cooking oil and set aside (I use a stoneware pie pan so I end up skipping the oil)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, rice milk, maple syrup, olive oil, and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, chia or flax seed, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice
- Add the dry ingredients to the to the liquid ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pie pan making sure there is at least 1/4-inch from the top of the batter and the top of the pie plate. Smooth the top of the batter with a spatula
- Bake at 450° F for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 375° F and bake for another 30 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing and serving
Having fun with my new camera!