Fall means pumpkin spice! Make this easy Crustless Pumpkin Pie recipe for fall desserts or Thanksgiving! It’s gluten free, vegan, and healthier
UPDATE: Hey friends! I have made this recipe every Thanksgiving for the past several years (probably 4 years) and I think this was one of the first recipes that I posted. I adapted it from a recipe from Gluten-Free and More magazine.
Over the years, I have made a few variations depending on our diet/food allergies at the time (things change!), so I am updating the recipe to the latest and best recipe so far – the recipe I made just yesterday.
The updated recipe is simpler with fewer ingredients, and is now vegan and lower-FODMAP (without the honey), so it fits more diets!
I also lost this recipe for a while since some of my recipe plugins crashed when I merged blogs and lots of recipes were swapped and deleted. So I finally got this one back up recently, AND I finally got some better photos for your viewing pleasure since I got a better camera 🙂 They aren’t perfect, but such an improvement over my old ones!
Enjoy the recipe!
This recipe is quick and easy because there is no need to make a crust: the pie makes its own crust! So if you happen to have a difficult time getting your pie crust to turn out right (especially an allergy-friendly one), this recipe is worth trying.
I made this last year for Christmas and decided it was good enough to make again, only this time I made some healthier changes: I used whole-grain flour, and maple syrup instead of sugar.
Having fun with my new camera!
Easy Crustless Pumpkin Pie
- 1 can 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup rice milk or coconut milk
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons light tasting olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2-1 teaspoon liquid Stevia depending on how sweet you want your pie (I used NOW Foods Better Stevia in English Toffee)
- 3/4 cup whole superfine sorghum flour or brown rice flour
- 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed or chia seed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 450° F. Spray a pie pan with cooking oil and set aside (I use a stoneware pie pan so I end up skipping the oil)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, rice milk, maple syrup, olive oil, and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, chia or flax seed, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice
- Add the dry ingredients to the to the liquid ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pie pan making sure there is at least 1/4-inch from the top of the batter and the top of the pie plate. Smooth the top of the batter with a spatula
- Bake at 450° F for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 375° F and bake for another 30 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing and serving
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist