Several days ago I made my Nectarine Chia Jam and quickly decided it was good enough to eat with a spoon (yum!). It is like a fruit pudding (like a flummery) thick and delicious…then I started thinking of all the wonderful things I could make with it. Pie filling!
I made up some crumb for a pie crust but didn’t make enough, so I sprinkled it on top to make a crumble instead. Voila! No magic here, just improv. I LOVE the crumb topping on this – I could eat that with a spoon, too! Oh, wait… I did : )
Because this is fruit-based and has no added sugars, you can add this to your breakfast recipe box, too!
- 2-3 peaches
- 2 Tablespoons white chia seeds whole
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Stevia optional
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut shredded fine
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds ground
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cut up the peaches into chunks (with skin on) and place in a blender or food processor.
- Blend or process the peaches until they are pureed and smooth. You will have about 1-3/4 to 2 cups puree.
- If you want the filling to be sweeter, you can add some Stevia or other sweetener to your taste.
- Place peach puree in a large bowl and stir in the whole chia seeds.
- Refrigerate puree until the chia seeds have softened and the puree has thickened, at least 1 hour.
- Once thickened, stir in the blueberries and raspberries and spread into a dish. Keep chilled while you prepare the crumb topping.
- For the crumb topping, grind the chia seeds in a spice or nut grinder and place in a small bowl with the coconut.
- Coarsely grind the gluten-free oats and add to bowl.
- Add in the cinnamon and salt and mix well.
- In a small bowl or cup, heat the honey and coconut oil together in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds until the coconut oil is melted. Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the honey/oil mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a fork until mixed well and it looks crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumb on top of the peach-berry filling. Serve immediately or make ahead and keep chilled until ready to serve. You can also serve this at room temperature, too.