Make this healthy and simple Dairy Free Thai Coconut Chicken for weeknight dinners! It’s gluten free and can be served over rice or cauliflower rice for paleo
This dish is one of my favorites! I created this after I did some experimenting in the kitchen and decided this recipe was a keeper when my husband said he loved it!
This is a flavorful Thai stir-fry with a nice sauce and lots of colorful vegetables. I served this over spaghetti squash “noodles”, but you can serve this over any complex carbohydrate (brown rice, quinoa, whole grain noodles) to make a perfectly balanced meal.
The spices listed in this recipe are kind of guesstimates; I season to taste, so I don’t always keep track of how much spice/seasoning I use in the recipe. Feel free to experiment and play with the recipe a bit!
Dairy Free Thai Coconut Chicken (Gluten Free)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 5 medium carrots peeled and sliced (1-1/2 cup sliced)
- 2 medium zucchini squash @ 2 cups chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped ( @ 1 cup)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup coconut milk canned
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 1 Tablespoons corn starch optional; you can use brown rice flour, arrowroot flour, tapioca flour, etc *
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Heat the sesame oil and coconut oil a large skillet. Meanwhile, chop the carrots, zucchini, red pepper, and onion. Saute over medium heat until the vegetables start to get tender.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and add to the skillet and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender (not mushy).
- While the chicken is cooking, in a mixing bowl, combine the chicken stock, coconut milk, lime juice, garlic, fish sauce, ginger, pepper, mustard, red pepper flakes, and (if using) brown rice flour. Pour the sauce mixture into the skillet with the chicken and veggies. Heat through and cook until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and serve over spaghetti squash "noodles". Enjoy!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist
2 thoughts on “Dairy Free Thai Coconut Chicken (Gluten Free)”
This was delicious. I made a few mods based on what I had on hand. Thanks for sharing!