Enjoy the health benefits of wild blueberries in this delicious and colorful Blueberry Cinnamon Bun Smoothie Bowl! It’s gluten free and vegan
Hey friends, I’m back with another recipe! Monday I posted my Salted Caramel Oatmeal, and today I’ll be sharing this delicious Wild Blueberry Cinnamon Bun Smoothie Bowl (long name, but tasty!).
Up until just a few weeks ago I haven’t actually tried wild blueberries, so that was new for me! I went to the store and bought a BIG bag of frozen wild blueberries and have been using them in my oatmeal in the mornings or just to snack on during the day.
I’m loving them! The wild blueberries are smaller and stronger tasting than cultivated blueberries, and they are delicious and full of flavor. Plus, blueberries are low-FODMAP so my tummy is super happy with these, too. Wild blueberries are definitely a must-try if you love cultivated blueberries.
So you might ask yourself if there really is a difference between wild blueberries and cultivated blueberries? Absolutely! If you have never had wild blueberries, put them on your shopping list, you’ll love them! Here are a few of the major differences between wild blueberries and cultivated blueberries:
- Wild blueberries are smaller than cultivated blueberries and have a more intense blueberry flavor
- Wild blueberries have 2x the antioxidant capacity of cultivated blueberries
- 99% of Wild blueberries harvested are frozen immediately after harvest, preserving their nutrients and freshness
- Wild blueberries are truly wild: they haven’t been planted by people, they grow naturally in barrens and fields in Maine and Eastern Canada
For this contest, I wanted to make a decadent tasting smoothie recipe that’s a bit like my Snickerdoodle Cookie Smoothie (a big hit!), so I came up with this cinnamon roll version: Wild Blueberry Cinnamon Bun Smoothie Bowl. Since this one is pretty thick, it is great as a smoothie bowl so you can eat it with a spoon rather than drinking it from a glass.
This recipe is quick to make, and a delicious no-cook breakfast option or snack for anytime. It’s nice and thick and is more filling than a smoothie made with just fruit and almond milk. If you want a bit more protein, you can stir in a little protein powder to balance your meal or snack.
Wild Blueberry Cinnamon Bun Smoothie Bowl (Gluten Free and Vegan)
- 1-1/2 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen Wild Blueberries
- 10 small dried figs stems removed and cut in half
- 3 Tablespoons gluten-free oats
- 2 teaspoons SunButter or almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 1 Tablespoon white chia seeds
- Combine all ingredints in a blender or NutriBullet and blend until smooth
- Pour into two bowls and top with chia seeds
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Sarah Jane Parker is the founder, recipe creator, and photographer behind The Fit Cookie. She’s a food allergy mom and healthy living blogger based in Wyoming. Sarah is also an ACSM Certified Personal Trainer, ACE Certified Health Coach, Revolution Running certified running coach, and an ACE Certified Fitness Nutrition Specialist