What’s better than fresh-baked banana bread on a chilly winter morning? Warm banana muffins that take less time to cook! These yummy muffins taste just like banana bread, and are super moist. You can add some raisins or chocolate chips in the batter if you want to have some fun! These muffins are substantial and make an easy-carry snack. My children love these!

Scrumptious Banana Flax Muffins

I followed the recipe from The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook by Cybele Pascal almost exactly with this batch. I have made several versions of this recipe many times, but each time I made these I missed an ingredient or changed something and was never quite satisfied with the texture. This morning, I finally hit on the right texture quite by accident! I added water to the recipe (which was not called for originally), and the batter was much thinner than the other times I had made these, but they still baked up beautifully and better than my previous versions! These are so moist, you could experiment by cutting out the oil altogether if you want less fat in your muffins. The flax meal works effectively as a binder, so there is no need for xanthan or guar gums.

Banana Flax Muffins

Gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free, dairy-free, nut-free, whole grain, vegan

Makes @ 16 muffins

2-1/2 cups brown rice flour
3/4 cup golden flaxseed meal
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups mashed bananas (@ 3 medium)
3 tablespoons oil
1 cup light agave nectar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
3/4 – 1 cup water or milk of choice
1 cup raisins (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Line 2 muffin pans with 16 muffin papers.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, flaxseed meal, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In a medium bowl, mash bananas very well. Stir in oil, agave, vanilla, lemon juice, and water or milk until well mixed.
  4. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold in raisins, if using.
  5. Fill the muffin tins to the rim with batter. Bake in the center of the oven for 20-23 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Cool completely before serving (these stick to the muffin papers if you don’t let them cool enough). Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from “The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook by Cybele Pascal

Tagged with →

20 Responses to Scrumptious Banana Flax Muffins

1. Kara says:

These were fantastic! I cut the agave to half a cup, used coconut oil, and almond milk instead of water- so delicious!

2. Karen says:

I just made these. I made a couple substitutions because we are on a low oxalate diet, so we don’t do agave nectar or brown rice flour. I substituted coconut flour for the rice flour, and 1/3 cup of honey for the agave nectar. I also had to add a ton of water since coconut flour absorbs a lot of water. Not sure how much I added in total, I just kept adding it until the batter was a mushy consistancy that I was able to spoon into the muffin cups. Anyway, they turned out great. My 2 1/2 year old son who, in addition to having several diet restrictions, is a VERY picky eater, loves them! I probably would add a bit more honey next time, because they could be a bit sweeter, but are still very good. Although mine probably turned out quite a bit different from yours because of my changes, your recipe was still a great starting point. I had been looking for a gluten free, banana muffin recipe that used ground flax. Thanks!!

• Sarah Jane says:

That’s great that these turned out with coconut flour! I should try to make a coconut flour version of these to post sometime. You have some great substitution ideas in here :)

3. kate says:

can i use all flax seed meal in this recipe or almond flour in place of the brown rice flour? Thanks!!!

• Sarah Jane says:

Hi Kate! You can try using almond flour in this recipe (although I would not use all flaxmeal). I have not tried this recipe with almond flour before, so I cannot guarantee the results. You may have to experiment a bit with this recipe. If you make this with almond flour, let me know how they turn out!

4. Neveen says:

I made these last night and they came out gorgeous! They puffed up like bakery style muffins and impressed my family. They were incredibly moist. I don’t do rice so I used sorghum flour and a scant cup of honey instead on agave. Delicious.

5. livingcrunchy says:

These look great! We don’t use agave (lots of negative press about it) but I’m going to try honey!

6. [...] a lot more frequently this pregnancy!)Dinner: leftovers before church Life groupMondayBreakfast: gluten-free banana-flax muffins and fruitLunch: leftovers from Sunday's lunchDinner: rice flour fried chicken, green beans, [...]

7. Cathy says:

These are great muffins, but I’m thinking I’m not crazy about the taste of the agave nectar. Have you tried these just using sugar or splenda?

• This recipe should work fine with a granulated sweetener, although I haven’t made it with sugar. You may have to experiment a bit to find the right amount of liquid when replacing a liquid sweetener with a granulated sweetener (such as adding a few Tablespoons more liquid to get the same consistency batter). I will have to make this recipe again and try using sugar or Truvia. Let me know if you try it with sugar!

8. how long do they keep for – can you freeze them. They look fantastic!

• Thanks! These muffins keep for a couple days at room temperature. You really have to watch these: the flax meal and the banana in the muffin mean they can spoil quickly. These do freeze well, so you can make a big batch if you want and freeze for later. Just thaw one by microwaving for @ 20-30 seconds or so.

9. Cara says:

Goodness, a gluten and egg free muffin that looks delicious, let alone the kids love?? They MUST be good :) Muffins are the trickest things for me–I’m not sure why but I always have a hard time with them. Looks like I have a new recipe to try out and boost up my confidence with :)

10. those look delicious. and I love banana bread, so they sound even better to me!