There is something so comforting about hot and creamy macaroni and cheese…I think it has to do with how much fat and carbohydrates there are in it 🙂 No joke! Many of the comfort foods we love have a lot of fat and carbohydrates in them because those are the first things our bodies crave when we are stressed out and need a boost of serotonin. Hence, the term “comfort food”.
While we really shouldn’t base our life’s diet on mac and cheese, it is really nice to have those creamy comfort foods every once in a while. Here is an easy, allergy-friendly recipe for Macaroni and Cheese that everyone loves.
I like to add slices of buffalo chicken sausage to mine, or you can add bread crumbs (gluten-free and whole grain, of course!) and bake it in the oven for a little bit.
This recipe is based on a simple white sauce with cheese added to it. This white sauce recipe works for home-made alfredo sauce as well, just skip the cheese and sprinkle in some Rice Parmesan. You can make this sauce thick or thin, depending on how much brown rice flour you add.
I love Tinkyada brand – it is the best I have tried so far. It is whole grain and cooks up al dente, not mushy or mealy.
- 8 ounces brown rice elbow macaroni I use Tinkyada brand
- 1-1/2 cups coconut milk unsweetened and unflavored from carton
- 2-3 Tablespoons brown rice flour depending on how thick you want your sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash table blend
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup allergy-friendly cheese of choice shredded (I used Daiya Cheddar Shreds)
- Optional: Gluten-Free Bread or cracker crumbs
- In a medium saucepan, heat water and cook brown rice macaroni according to package directions.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk until simmering. Whisk in the brown rice flour and seasonings. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring often to prevent burning.
- When the sauce has thickened, stir in the cheese and stir until melted (or mostly melted).
- Stir the sauce into the cooked and drained macaroni. At this point you can add in other ingredients, serve immediately, or you can top with bread crumbs and bake at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until the top is golden. Enjoy!